Silver Slugger Award winners announced on MLB Network

Nov 2, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT

silver slugger getty Getty Images

Major League Baseball is unveiling this year’s Silver Slugger Award winners Wednesday evening in an hour-long special on MLB Network.

The Silver Slugger Award is given annually to the top offensive player at each position in each league, as determined by MLB’s coaches and managers. We’ll post the recipients as they are announced:

National League

Asdrubal Cabrera, Indians

Catcher
Alex Avila, Tigers

Designated Hitter
David Ortiz, Red Sox

1. fellspointbird - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I feel like Hardy had a really good shot at this, it’s too bad that his very impressive 2011 campaign will go unrewarded

• The Common Man - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Well, he did sign an extension to pay him $7 mil per over the next three season, so I’m not sure he went unrewarded.

2. gb4ever0811 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Cliff Lee should’ve won the silver slugger for pitchers…

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Cliff Lee – .200, 2 HR, 7 RBIs,
      Daniel Hudson – .277, 1 HR, 14 RBIs

I’m a Phillies fan, but, Hudson clearly was the better hitter.

• gb4ever0811 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

*shrugs* I cede to your point. I’m only going by what I saw. I didn’t see Hudson play. I saw Lee came within a few feet (or a better stance) of hitting 3 or 4 more HR. With a small sample size–and the best hitting pitcher in Philadelphia since Larry Christensen–I went with the guy I knew. I think he should have been considered, at least.

Plus, there’s a difference between “better numbers” and “who wins the award.” Ryan Howard could hit .258/30/113 and Pujols could hit .260/27/107 and Pujols could still win based on how much better he is plate-wise than Howard. I’m not a Phillie guy to bang on Howard–w/o him this team would have been harder pressed to win the division–but he stinks at the plate. Silver Slugger is more than numbers.

P.S Yes, everyone, I know Pujols consistently has a better average than that. I’m using it as a “for instance.”

• gb4ever0811 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Should be come, not came. I apologize

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I saw Christensen play as well. He was a good hitting pitcher. But, you’re omitting an even better hitting pitcher in that period, Steve Carlton. Steve was really a good hitting pitcher. I haven’t pulled the stats, but I would think he was better, if I recall correctly.

• gb4ever0811 - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I imagine you’re correct. Do forgive me. I love the NL. In the AL we’d be arguing about the DH. Pitchers are much more fun.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Agreed, gb4ever0811. I like the NL style better. I also like that you do not base player evaluations solely on stats, like myself. Hell, I get crucified on this site for my hate of advanced stats, Sabermetrics. I, like you, enjoyed what Cliff Lee did at the plate this year and got a kick out of him because he really loves hitting in the NL and showed us some spunk with his great approach at the plate. I just wish Cliff could have held a 4 run lead in game 2 :(

• gb4ever0811 - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Oh, god, you and me both. They’d have swept the Cardinals and probably would have won the title, at least the NL title.

Oh, well, third season season in a row the team which has beaten our Phils has won the Series. Vegas has the Phillies as having the best odds, 4-1, to win the World Series in 2012. Scary, considering Howard is injured and Oswalt may not be back. 3rd base is a mess and the SS position is in flux…

3. spudchukar - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Berkman reamed. Somebody explain this choice. And Montero and Molina both were just as qualified as McCann.

• cur68 - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I gotta take Fat Elvis’s side on this one. He was like… like a stud this post season. A stud with Puma Speed. Shoulda got this one.

• paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, there is no universe where Upton’s offensive season compares in any way, shape or form to what Berkman did. Upton is the new Michael Young, highly over-rated because of his home park. On the road this year he had an OBP or .328 and slugged .439…a 266 pt home/away difference in OPS….and that type of split is pretty standard for Upton…a fine player, but not the player people act like he is.

• Bill - Nov 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Montero, McCann, and Molina all had roughly similar numbers (basically a dead heat in terms of wOBA), but I think it’s worth pointing out that Montero was batting a hitter’s park and Molina played half his games against the pitching horror-show otherwise known as the NL Central.

So, yeah. Advantage McCann. By a little.

• spudchukar - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM

But he only played in 128 games, a real offensive advantage for a catcher.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Yeah…and Yadi also played half his games in the pitcher friendly park at home. Also look at the number of AB’s (as Spud points out).

4. natstowngreg - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM

What, no Derek Jeter? No Michael Young? How can these awards have any credibility with such blatant omissions?

In general though, the voters seem to have done a good job, IMHO.

• hbdbrowns33 - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Derek Jeter’s numbers were not as good as Asdrubal’s. Cabrera had more runs, hits, RBIs, doubles, HRs, and a better slugging percentage so he earned it.

5. scatterbrian - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Cabrera topped Gonzalez in AVG, OBP, SLG and ISO, plus he walked more, struck out less, and had more extra-base hits.

Oh wait, Gonzalez had more hits? and more RBIs?!

• Kyle - Nov 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Word. Cabrera was pretty obviously the better hitter. Other snubs might beMontero, Berkman and Peralta. Pedroia was ever so slightly better than Cano, as well.

• denverwally - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Cabrera also has more DUI’s and more “leaves of absence” to detox than Gonzalez. I’d take Gonzo over the fat drunk any time.

• hgfrombc2 - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM

ass

6. natsattack - Nov 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Gallardo?

7. gregwanson - Nov 3, 2011 at 5:10 AM

Is it just me or aren’t the award winners eerily similar to the starting lineups for the all star game this year? Especially the AL team. Basically Ellsbury is the only winner in the AL who didn’t start the summer classic, right?

Not sure what that says, just interesting

8. fordman84 - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Did Napoli get punished for playing some time at 1B? Otherwise there is no way Avila has better numbers than Nap.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Good point Ford.

9. paperlions - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM

These are the offensive equivalent of the GG awards, voted on by the same guys that are more influenced by name recognition or hype than by actual production. No one should be surprised by horrible choices made by people that really don’t give a crap.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3840)