Nov 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Actually, a ton of teams will likely be interested in Mark Buehrle because he’s reliable as all get out and may be the best free agent pitching option on the market this year. But at the moment we’re at least getting reports of two clubs with more concrete interest: the Cubs and the Nationals.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs could have interest in Mark Buehrle “if the price tag and years aren’t astronomical.” Which I suppose is relative. But if “astronomical” means something like “near the top of what any pitcher will make in free agency this year,” then no, the Cubs aren’t going to be interested. Buehrle won’t make CC Sabathia money, but he’s going to do well.
Likewise Adam Kigore of the Washington Post wrote yesterday that “some individuals with ties to the Nationals believe they will pursue Buehrle.”
Now is probably a good time to remember that, like the astronomical-or-not nature of Buehrle’s next contract, the term “concrete” when used in connection the hot stove season is relative as well.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)