Nov 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Actually, a ton of teams will likely be interested in Mark Buehrle because he’s reliable as all get out and may be the best free agent pitching option on the market this year. But at the moment we’re at least getting reports of two clubs with more concrete interest: the Cubs and the Nationals.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs could have interest in Mark Buehrle “if the price tag and years aren’t astronomical.” Which I suppose is relative. But if “astronomical” means something like “near the top of what any pitcher will make in free agency this year,” then no, the Cubs aren’t going to be interested. Buehrle won’t make CC Sabathia money, but he’s going to do well.
Likewise Adam Kigore of the Washington Post wrote yesterday that “some individuals with ties to the Nationals believe they will pursue Buehrle.”
Now is probably a good time to remember that, like the astronomical-or-not nature of Buehrle’s next contract, the term “concrete” when used in connection the hot stove season is relative as well.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)