Nov 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Actually, a ton of teams will likely be interested in Mark Buehrle because he’s reliable as all get out and may be the best free agent pitching option on the market this year. But at the moment we’re at least getting reports of two clubs with more concrete interest: the Cubs and the Nationals.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs could have interest in Mark Buehrle “if the price tag and years aren’t astronomical.” Which I suppose is relative. But if “astronomical” means something like “near the top of what any pitcher will make in free agency this year,” then no, the Cubs aren’t going to be interested. Buehrle won’t make CC Sabathia money, but he’s going to do well.
Likewise Adam Kigore of the Washington Post wrote yesterday that “some individuals with ties to the Nationals believe they will pursue Buehrle.”
Now is probably a good time to remember that, like the astronomical-or-not nature of Buehrle’s next contract, the term “concrete” when used in connection the hot stove season is relative as well.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)