Nov 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In explaining why he turned down an offer to become Baltimore’s general manager yesterday Tony LaCava called the Orioles “classy in everything they did” and asserted that his decision “was about the Toronto Blue Jays more than it is anything about the Baltimore Orioles.”
For me, it was how much I love the Toronto Blue Jays and I really, really treasure my relationship with my general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, and I really want to see this through with him. He created a great atmosphere to work up there, along with president Paul Beeston, and it is very hard to leave them.
When I decided to interview, it wasn’t that I was looking to leave. But there are only 30 GM positions and I was interested in it. When I weighed both at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel I could leave the Blue Jays. I am working in a great place, a job that I love. It’s just as simple as that.
Those are certainly the right things to say if you’re trying to avoid burning any bridges and are now returning to work in Toronto, but it’s not quite “just as simple as that.” Various reports say LaCava was very close to accepting the job and the Blue Jays were already making plans for his departure. In other words, it wasn’t about the Blue Jays. It was about not working for Peter Angelos and the Orioles. And when, as LaCava pointed out, “there are only 30 GM positions” that says an awful lot about the situation in Baltimore.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)