Nov 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In explaining why he turned down an offer to become Baltimore’s general manager yesterday Tony LaCava called the Orioles “classy in everything they did” and asserted that his decision “was about the Toronto Blue Jays more than it is anything about the Baltimore Orioles.”
For me, it was how much I love the Toronto Blue Jays and I really, really treasure my relationship with my general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, and I really want to see this through with him. He created a great atmosphere to work up there, along with president Paul Beeston, and it is very hard to leave them.
When I decided to interview, it wasn’t that I was looking to leave. But there are only 30 GM positions and I was interested in it. When I weighed both at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel I could leave the Blue Jays. I am working in a great place, a job that I love. It’s just as simple as that.
Those are certainly the right things to say if you’re trying to avoid burning any bridges and are now returning to work in Toronto, but it’s not quite “just as simple as that.” Various reports say LaCava was very close to accepting the job and the Blue Jays were already making plans for his departure. In other words, it wasn’t about the Blue Jays. It was about not working for Peter Angelos and the Orioles. And when, as LaCava pointed out, “there are only 30 GM positions” that says an awful lot about the situation in Baltimore.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)