Nov 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In explaining why he turned down an offer to become Baltimore’s general manager yesterday Tony LaCava called the Orioles “classy in everything they did” and asserted that his decision “was about the Toronto Blue Jays more than it is anything about the Baltimore Orioles.”
For me, it was how much I love the Toronto Blue Jays and I really, really treasure my relationship with my general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, and I really want to see this through with him. He created a great atmosphere to work up there, along with president Paul Beeston, and it is very hard to leave them.
When I decided to interview, it wasn’t that I was looking to leave. But there are only 30 GM positions and I was interested in it. When I weighed both at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel I could leave the Blue Jays. I am working in a great place, a job that I love. It’s just as simple as that.
Those are certainly the right things to say if you’re trying to avoid burning any bridges and are now returning to work in Toronto, but it’s not quite “just as simple as that.” Various reports say LaCava was very close to accepting the job and the Blue Jays were already making plans for his departure. In other words, it wasn’t about the Blue Jays. It was about not working for Peter Angelos and the Orioles. And when, as LaCava pointed out, “there are only 30 GM positions” that says an awful lot about the situation in Baltimore.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)