Nov 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In explaining why he turned down an offer to become Baltimore’s general manager yesterday Tony LaCava called the Orioles “classy in everything they did” and asserted that his decision “was about the Toronto Blue Jays more than it is anything about the Baltimore Orioles.”
For me, it was how much I love the Toronto Blue Jays and I really, really treasure my relationship with my general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, and I really want to see this through with him. He created a great atmosphere to work up there, along with president Paul Beeston, and it is very hard to leave them.
When I decided to interview, it wasn’t that I was looking to leave. But there are only 30 GM positions and I was interested in it. When I weighed both at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel I could leave the Blue Jays. I am working in a great place, a job that I love. It’s just as simple as that.
Those are certainly the right things to say if you’re trying to avoid burning any bridges and are now returning to work in Toronto, but it’s not quite “just as simple as that.” Various reports say LaCava was very close to accepting the job and the Blue Jays were already making plans for his departure. In other words, it wasn’t about the Blue Jays. It was about not working for Peter Angelos and the Orioles. And when, as LaCava pointed out, “there are only 30 GM positions” that says an awful lot about the situation in Baltimore.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)