Tony LaCava calls Orioles “classy in everything they did” after turning down GM job

Nov 2, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

tony lacava

In explaining why he turned down an offer to become Baltimore’s general manager yesterday Tony LaCava called the Orioles “classy in everything they did” and asserted that his decision “was about the Toronto Blue Jays more than it is anything about the Baltimore Orioles.”

Here’s more:

For me, it was how much I love the Toronto Blue Jays and I really, really treasure my relationship with my general manager, Alex Anthopoulos, and I really want to see this through with him. He created a great atmosphere to work up there, along with president Paul Beeston, and it is very hard to leave them.

When I decided to interview, it wasn’t that I was looking to leave. But there are only 30 GM positions and I was interested in it. When I weighed both at the end of the day, I just didn’t feel I could leave the Blue Jays. I am working in a great place, a job that I love. It’s just as simple as that.

Those are certainly the right things to say if you’re trying to avoid burning any bridges and are now returning to work in Toronto, but it’s not quite “just as simple as that.” Various reports say LaCava was very close to accepting the job and the Blue Jays were already making plans for his departure. In other words, it wasn’t about the Blue Jays. It was about not working for Peter Angelos and the Orioles. And when, as LaCava pointed out, “there are only 30 GM positions” that says an awful lot about the situation in Baltimore.

1. randomdigits - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM

You don’t interview for three GM positions, including going back for a second interview, if you are happy being an assistant GM.

LaCava was on board until he met Angelos and found out all the strings that were attached.

While he did handle it with class, as an O’s fan I kinda wish he had ripped Angelos in public.

Losing obviously doesn’t bother him, declining fan interest and attendance doesn’t bother him, maybe being embarrassed in public will do the trick.

• Panda Claus - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I’d be curious who the “who” was that caused this great divide between the two sides. It’s easy to pick on Angelos because of the team’s track record under his watch, but we don’t know the whole story.

That being said, I’m used to being turned away at the alter by free agent players, not by GM candidates too.

An organization that’s way behind in the first place only seems to be losing more ground by the day.

• randomdigits - Nov 2, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Angelos wasn’t at the first meeting.

The second meeting was with Angelos.

It isn’t rocket science.

Word is not only did PA lowball him and tell him that there were untouchables (Stockstill) he was also informed that he must adjust his vision to Showalter’s desires for the ML roster.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM

That’s what’s known as “don’t burn any bridges”. Good for him.

3. paperlions - Nov 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I don’t think it is so much not burning bridges (turning down the Orioles job lit a conflagration on any bridge leading him to that organization) so much as advertising to the other 28 teams that he is interested in becoming a GM when the right situation arises.

4. Francisco (FC) - Nov 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM

It’s one thing to accept a challenge, but going to Baltimore would be aken to doing one of those Fear Factor TV stunts .

Orioles turn AL East on its head