Nov 3, 2011, 5:11 PM EST
Atlanta acted quickly to remove Derek Lowe and his salary from the books, dealing him to Cleveland, and now Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves have told teams they’re willing to trade Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.
Bowman writes that the Braves would like to free up some additional salary to pursue free agents and together Jurrjens and Prado are likely to earn around $10 million in 2012 via the arbitration process.
Knee problems limited Jurrjens to a total of 268 innings during the past two seasons, but according to Bowman the Royals have already expressed interest in the 25-year-old right-hander and in turn the Braves have expressed interest in outfield prospects Wil Myers and Lorenzo Cain (although realistically Myers is probably off-limits).
Prado’s production plummeted this season, as he hit just .260 with a .687 OPS following three straight .800 OPS campaigns. He’s unlikely to fetch a huge return in trade, but could certainly help plenty of teams with infield openings. Even after the down season Prado is a 28-year-old career .293 hitter with a .775 OPS.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 17
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)