Nov 3, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Atlanta acted quickly to remove Derek Lowe and his salary from the books, dealing him to Cleveland, and now Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves have told teams they’re willing to trade Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.
Bowman writes that the Braves would like to free up some additional salary to pursue free agents and together Jurrjens and Prado are likely to earn around $10 million in 2012 via the arbitration process.
Knee problems limited Jurrjens to a total of 268 innings during the past two seasons, but according to Bowman the Royals have already expressed interest in the 25-year-old right-hander and in turn the Braves have expressed interest in outfield prospects Wil Myers and Lorenzo Cain (although realistically Myers is probably off-limits).
Prado’s production plummeted this season, as he hit just .260 with a .687 OPS following three straight .800 OPS campaigns. He’s unlikely to fetch a huge return in trade, but could certainly help plenty of teams with infield openings. Even after the down season Prado is a 28-year-old career .293 hitter with a .775 OPS.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)