Nov 3, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Atlanta acted quickly to remove Derek Lowe and his salary from the books, dealing him to Cleveland, and now Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that the Braves have told teams they’re willing to trade Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.
Bowman writes that the Braves would like to free up some additional salary to pursue free agents and together Jurrjens and Prado are likely to earn around $10 million in 2012 via the arbitration process.
Knee problems limited Jurrjens to a total of 268 innings during the past two seasons, but according to Bowman the Royals have already expressed interest in the 25-year-old right-hander and in turn the Braves have expressed interest in outfield prospects Wil Myers and Lorenzo Cain (although realistically Myers is probably off-limits).
Prado’s production plummeted this season, as he hit just .260 with a .687 OPS following three straight .800 OPS campaigns. He’s unlikely to fetch a huge return in trade, but could certainly help plenty of teams with infield openings. Even after the down season Prado is a 28-year-old career .293 hitter with a .775 OPS.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)