Nov 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Following up on yesterday’s news that the Cardinals asked for and were granted the Phillies’ permission to interview Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg to fill Tony La Russa’s shoes Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be one of “fewer than 10″ candidates for the job.
According to Strauss the Cardinals are hoping to decide on La Russa’s successor within the next 10 days and in addition to Sandberg other candidates include third base coach Jose Oquendo and former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, plus Chris Maloney, Joe McEwing, and Mike Matheny.
Two very important factors are Albert Pujols‘ and pitching coach Dave Duncan’s willingness to stick around, which is why David Eckstein suggested earlier this week that the Cardinals should hire Oquendo.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)