Nov 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Following up on yesterday’s news that the Cardinals asked for and were granted the Phillies’ permission to interview Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg to fill Tony La Russa’s shoes Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be one of “fewer than 10″ candidates for the job.
According to Strauss the Cardinals are hoping to decide on La Russa’s successor within the next 10 days and in addition to Sandberg other candidates include third base coach Jose Oquendo and former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, plus Chris Maloney, Joe McEwing, and Mike Matheny.
Two very important factors are Albert Pujols‘ and pitching coach Dave Duncan’s willingness to stick around, which is why David Eckstein suggested earlier this week that the Cardinals should hire Oquendo.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?