Nov 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Following up on yesterday’s news that the Cardinals asked for and were granted the Phillies’ permission to interview Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg to fill Tony La Russa’s shoes Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that he’ll be one of “fewer than 10″ candidates for the job.
According to Strauss the Cardinals are hoping to decide on La Russa’s successor within the next 10 days and in addition to Sandberg other candidates include third base coach Jose Oquendo and former Red Sox manager Terry Francona, plus Chris Maloney, Joe McEwing, and Mike Matheny.
Two very important factors are Albert Pujols‘ and pitching coach Dave Duncan’s willingness to stick around, which is why David Eckstein suggested earlier this week that the Cardinals should hire Oquendo.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)