Nov 3, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the deal is worth $1.2 million and according to MLB Trade Rumors there’s also a $1.24 million mutual option for 2013, so Blanco essentially got an extra $50,000 for opting out.
General manager Kevin Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that they’ve “pretty much agreed to terms” that will presumably pay him a few more bucks on another one-year commitment.
Blanco has never been much of a hitter, but he remains an elite defensive catcher and is coming off a career-year at the plate in limited action. At age 40 he’s well suited for a part-time role and as a right-handed hitter backing up left-handed-hitting starter Miguel Montero is an ideal fit.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)