Nov 3, 2011, 2:09 AM EDT
After his heroics in the World Series, you had to know that life was going to become very, very good for David Freese.
As a Cardinal playing in his native St. Louis, the World Series MVP might never again be forced to buy his own drink or pay for his own dinner, even if he regresses to Willie Bloomquist for the rest of his career.
From tooling around in his brand new Corvette, to hanging out on the “Tonight Show” with Justin Bieber (right), the offseason is going to be quite enjoyable for the 28-year-old third baseman.
And if you think I’m lying, check out this headline from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: David Freese wows a Macy’s Galleria crowd.
Yeah that’s right, the Richmond Heights, Mo. Macy’s was abuzz on Wednesday, and I’m not exaggerating. According to the story, fans started getting in line the night before to snag one of the 275 wristbands that gave them a chance to take part in the event. The wristband gave the bearer the right to spend “at least $50 on Macy’s merchandise,” which you have to admit is quite a deal all by itself. (Think they sold any of these?)
But of course that’s not all they got, the big payoff being a signed baseball from their hero. Not too bad when you think about it, for the fans or for Freese.
Enjoy your new-found celebrity Mr. MVP. It’s good to be the king.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)