Javier Vazquez wants to play for an East Coast team if he doesn’t retire

Nov 3, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Javier Vazquez AP

Earlier this week the Marlins were said to be trying to talk Javier Vazquez out of retiring and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the 35-year-old right-hander is “50-50″ to pitch in 2012.

According to Rosenthal he has a “strong East Coast preference” after spending his 14-year career in Montreal, New York (twice), Arizona, Chicago, Atlanta, and Florida.

Vazquez has lost some velocity and struggled with the Yankees in 2010, but he’s coming off a strong season with the Marlins and would definitely be passing up significant money by calling it quits. He threw 193 innings with a 3.69 ERA and 162/50 K/BB ratio this year and was even better for Atlanta in 2009.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I think we can eliminate the Bronx as one of his future locations.

2. pisano - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM

You beat me to it partner. Can you imagine Javier and AJ in the same rotation? I think I’d jump ship if that happened.

• uyf1950 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Well I wouldn’t jump ship, my friend but I would be awfully disappointed. Almost as much as if the thief Pavano showed up wearing Yankee Pinstripes again.

• phukyouk - Nov 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM

” Can you imagine Javier and AJ in the same rotation? ”

Welcome to 2010! i hear armando Benitez wants to come out of retirement and join the yanks again too

3. stackers1 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Throw Ollie Perez in there & we got us a rotation.

4. Old Gator - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM

If he pitches again, it’ll be in Macondo. But the oddsmakers down here are betting against it. I think 50-50 is probably a little generous.

5. anxovies - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

If only Kevin Brown was still active.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3323)