Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from his sources that the Cubs may move relatively quickly on the replacement of Mike Quade, and that two candidates are thought to be at the top of the list: Mike Maddux and Dale Sveum.
Sveum, the Brewers hitting coach, interviewed with the Red Sox yesterday. Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach, is thought to be on the Red Sox’ list of candidates as well. No surprise that the Sox and the Theo Epstein-led Cubs are looking at many of the same people.
If I’m the Cubs I hire Maddux. Not because I know for sure that he’d be a better manager. But because that makes it slightly more likely that he could convince his brother Greg to go to work for a living and be the Cubs pitching coach or something. Maybe he enjoys golf too much to do that sort of thing, but I’d really like to see what Greg Maddux could do if given a chance to lead and teach men. Or at least pitchers.
UPDATE: Add Pete Mackanin to the list of candidates in Chicago. At this rate the Cubs and Red Sox should just get a conference room for interviews together and share time and expenses.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)