Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from his sources that the Cubs may move relatively quickly on the replacement of Mike Quade, and that two candidates are thought to be at the top of the list: Mike Maddux and Dale Sveum.
Sveum, the Brewers hitting coach, interviewed with the Red Sox yesterday. Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach, is thought to be on the Red Sox’ list of candidates as well. No surprise that the Sox and the Theo Epstein-led Cubs are looking at many of the same people.
If I’m the Cubs I hire Maddux. Not because I know for sure that he’d be a better manager. But because that makes it slightly more likely that he could convince his brother Greg to go to work for a living and be the Cubs pitching coach or something. Maybe he enjoys golf too much to do that sort of thing, but I’d really like to see what Greg Maddux could do if given a chance to lead and teach men. Or at least pitchers.
UPDATE: Add Pete Mackanin to the list of candidates in Chicago. At this rate the Cubs and Red Sox should just get a conference room for interviews together and share time and expenses.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)