Mike Maddux, Dale Sveum Cubs managerial candidates

Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Mike Maddux

Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from his sources that the Cubs may move relatively quickly on the replacement of Mike Quade, and that two candidates are thought to be at the top of the list: Mike Maddux and Dale Sveum.

Sveum, the Brewers hitting coach,  interviewed with the Red Sox yesterday. Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach, is thought to be on the Red Sox’ list of candidates as well. No surprise that the Sox and the Theo Epstein-led Cubs are looking at many of the same people.

If I’m the Cubs I hire Maddux. Not because I know for sure that he’d be a better manager. But because that makes it slightly more likely that he could convince his brother Greg to go to work for a living and be the Cubs pitching coach or something.  Maybe he enjoys golf too much to do that sort of thing, but I’d really like to see what Greg Maddux could do if given a chance to lead and teach men.  Or at least pitchers.

UPDATE: Add Pete Mackanin to the list of candidates in Chicago.  At this rate the Cubs and Red Sox should just get a conference room for interviews together and share time and expenses.

1. robmoore - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Pitchers are people too, Craig! OK, maybe not lefthanders…

2. halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Maddux, Sveum, Sandberg, Mackanin. What do all these guys have in common?

They all had cups of coffee or coached in a Phillies uniform. Weird to see all of these Phillies connections being involved in managerial positions in the league.

3. canucks18 - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Greg Maddox would be incredible! He is one of the best of all time!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Are you saying Greg Maddux, or Gary Maddox?

4. explodet - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM

But Dale Sveum has that oh-so-important comodity known as postseason managing experience!

5. miketreedy - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

If there is even a chance of the Rangers losing Maddux, I hope they will step up and give him manager size money to stay. I would even be fine with getting rid of Wash and promoting Maddux. He has been too valuable to the Rangers team to lose. Far more valuable then Washington in my opinion.

6. Kyle - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Mike Maddux would be near the top o’ my list for sure.

• aaronmoreno - Nov 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

He should get the job, he was great in Tremors.

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I liked him best in Family Ties. His wife was HOT.

7. foreverchipper10 - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I would love to see Greg as a pitching coach. With the time he spent as a Cub if his brother took over as manager that would have to be tempting for him provided Mike was manager and the Cubs were interested in Greg as well.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS