Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from his sources that the Cubs may move relatively quickly on the replacement of Mike Quade, and that two candidates are thought to be at the top of the list: Mike Maddux and Dale Sveum.
Sveum, the Brewers hitting coach, interviewed with the Red Sox yesterday. Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach, is thought to be on the Red Sox’ list of candidates as well. No surprise that the Sox and the Theo Epstein-led Cubs are looking at many of the same people.
If I’m the Cubs I hire Maddux. Not because I know for sure that he’d be a better manager. But because that makes it slightly more likely that he could convince his brother Greg to go to work for a living and be the Cubs pitching coach or something. Maybe he enjoys golf too much to do that sort of thing, but I’d really like to see what Greg Maddux could do if given a chance to lead and teach men. Or at least pitchers.
UPDATE: Add Pete Mackanin to the list of candidates in Chicago. At this rate the Cubs and Red Sox should just get a conference room for interviews together and share time and expenses.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)