Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times hears from his sources that the Cubs may move relatively quickly on the replacement of Mike Quade, and that two candidates are thought to be at the top of the list: Mike Maddux and Dale Sveum.
Sveum, the Brewers hitting coach, interviewed with the Red Sox yesterday. Maddux, the Rangers pitching coach, is thought to be on the Red Sox’ list of candidates as well. No surprise that the Sox and the Theo Epstein-led Cubs are looking at many of the same people.
If I’m the Cubs I hire Maddux. Not because I know for sure that he’d be a better manager. But because that makes it slightly more likely that he could convince his brother Greg to go to work for a living and be the Cubs pitching coach or something. Maybe he enjoys golf too much to do that sort of thing, but I’d really like to see what Greg Maddux could do if given a chance to lead and teach men. Or at least pitchers.
UPDATE: Add Pete Mackanin to the list of candidates in Chicago. At this rate the Cubs and Red Sox should just get a conference room for interviews together and share time and expenses.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)