Nov 3, 2011, 8:41 AM EST
There is a fantastic story over at The Postgame by Steve Henson that went live late Monday night. Thanks to Old Gator I read it this morning. The topic: Bing Russell, Lou Gehrig’s last home run bat and a whole lot more.
Bing Russell is the father of actor Kurt Russell and the grandfather of former big leaguer Matt Franco. In the late 1930s and 1940s he was a mega-batboy/clubbie for the Yankees. It was more than just a temp job for a kid, as he traveled with the team and forged friendships with many of the stars despite being a kid. In April 1939, Gehrig hit two homers in an exhibition game against the Dodgers. They would be the last two homers he’d hit in any setting. When he came back to the dugout he gave his bat to Bing Russell. That bat is now up for auction and will fetch a zillion dollars.
But the story is about far more than the bat. It’s about Bing and his interesting life in and around baseball. He went on to an acting career — which of course led to Kurt Russell’s acting career — but also owned a minor league team in Portland, Oregon in the 1970s, maintained a lifelong friendship with Lefty Gomez and then followed Matt Franco around the minors, cheering on his grandson.
Just a wonderful story about what sounds like a wonderful life. Definitely take a gander.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 3
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 53
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)