Nov 3, 2011, 8:41 AM EDT
There is a fantastic story over at The Postgame by Steve Henson that went live late Monday night. Thanks to Old Gator I read it this morning. The topic: Bing Russell, Lou Gehrig’s last home run bat and a whole lot more.
Bing Russell is the father of actor Kurt Russell and the grandfather of former big leaguer Matt Franco. In the late 1930s and 1940s he was a mega-batboy/clubbie for the Yankees. It was more than just a temp job for a kid, as he traveled with the team and forged friendships with many of the stars despite being a kid. In April 1939, Gehrig hit two homers in an exhibition game against the Dodgers. They would be the last two homers he’d hit in any setting. When he came back to the dugout he gave his bat to Bing Russell. That bat is now up for auction and will fetch a zillion dollars.
But the story is about far more than the bat. It’s about Bing and his interesting life in and around baseball. He went on to an acting career — which of course led to Kurt Russell’s acting career — but also owned a minor league team in Portland, Oregon in the 1970s, maintained a lifelong friendship with Lefty Gomez and then followed Matt Franco around the minors, cheering on his grandson.
Just a wonderful story about what sounds like a wonderful life. Definitely take a gander.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)