Orioles expand GM search to include Phillies’ Scott Proefrock and Twins’ Mike Radcliff

Nov 3, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

now hiring

After being turned down by both Jerry Dipoto and Tony Lacava the Orioles have expanded their search for a new general manager to include Phillies assistant GM Scott Proefrock and Twins vice president of player personnel Mike Radcliff.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Proefrock will meet with the Orioles today and the team has asked for permission to speak with Radcliff.

Proefrock served as the Orioles’ director of baseball administration from 2006-2008 before leaving to take his job with the Phillies, so he presumably knows what working for Baltimore is about and won’t be scared off like Dipoto and LaCava.

According to Connolly “there is no plan to re-interview” in-house candidate John Stockstill or Dodgers assistant GM De Jon Watson, who were both included in the initial mix of candidates.

1. halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Scott Proefrock has done a pretty good job with the Phillies in assisting Ruben Amaro. I don’t want to see him go. I would prefer the Orioles to wait until Ed Wade is fired and hire him. Wade would be a better fit with the Orioles.

• CJ - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’d rather Wade go slightly more talented team so he can trade all that talent to the Phils.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM

While Scott Proefrock might have done a pretty good job – the Orioles will undoubtedly end up with his brother J. Alfred.

2. SmackSaw - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Frank McCourt is looking for a job.

3. stinkfist5 - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I hope he can draft well. I know he had his hands in a few trades/signings. The O’s really need some home grown boys. Growing Machado and Bundy into MLB players would be great.

4. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I say they give it to the winner of the Canseco/Dykstra fight.

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM