Nov 3, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
During an interview with Rob Bradford of WEEI.com free agent David Ortiz said that the Red Sox have yet to make him an offer and seemed somewhat frustrated by the lack of communication:
I was expecting something would happen before, but so many things are going on. I know everybody has priorities, and to be honest with you, I thought I was one of them. I guess when it comes down to this situation, they would like to see what they’re going to hear out there because I’ve seen that happen before here with some other players. Players who have been here for a long time, they want to know what their value is in the market. Like I said, I’m not familiar with the situation.
In fairness to the Red Sox they’ve been pretty busy firing everyone and are currently working on finding a new manager. Plus, it’s not as if Ortiz was likely to bypass the open market to re-sign if they did come to him with an early offer. As a 36-year-old designated hitter Ortiz’s options for a big payday are pretty limited, so if the Red Sox want to re-sign him they can probably afford to be patient.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)