Nov 3, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
After getting totally boned by the Hall of Fame for decades, Ron Santo will once again be up for consideration as part of the new-look Veterans Committee process.
At this year’s Winter Meetings Santo — and 10 other former players — will be up for votes as part of the “Golden Era” slate of candidates (there are now three eras which get considered in turn every three years). The other nine: Minnie Minoso, Buzzie Bavasi, Jim Katt, Allie Reynolds, Ken Boyer, Luis Tiant, Charlie O. Finley, Gil Hodges and Tony Oliva.
Of that crowd I think Santo and Minoso belong. Of course, I won’t have any confidence in the Veterans Committee — new look or otherwise — until they get it right for once. For years and years it let way too many unworthy guys in and then, in an overreaction, for too long passed over worthy candidates.
Put in Santo and Minoso, folks.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)