Nov 3, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
Roy Oswalt’s agent told Jon Paul Morosi that Oswalt wants to sign a “long-term” contract. This winter. Hurm. Depends what he considers “long-term” I suppose.
Oswalt is still effective when he pitches — he had a 3.69 ERA and a 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings in 2011 — but he’s got back problems and back problems are red flags for pitchers. Especially pitchers in their mid-30s.
He’s certainly not an Erik Bedard/Rich Harden level gamble, and potentially elite pitching is always pretty damn valuable when it hits the market, but Oswalt is still something of a gamble. Can you commit three years to this guy? If so, can you do it without it being somewhat incentive-laden?
Maybe we should ask the Rangers. They’re likely going to need a C.J. Wilson replacement. And while I haven’t seen any of the speculators speculatin’ it yet, it makes all kinds of sense for Oswalt to return to the state of Texas, does it not?
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement