Steve Garvey and a billion others line up to bid on the Dodgers

Nov 3, 2011, 7:28 AM EDT

Steve Garvey Getty Images

ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that former Dodger first baseman Steve Garvey is preparing to put in a bid for the team in the upcoming bankruptcy auction which will finally wrest control of the team from the clutches of Frank McCourt.

Garvey went on record last February with his interest in buying the team.  Of course back then the team wasn’t for sale and Garvey was a team employee, so his ambitions got him fired.

As I said back then, one has to wonder whether a motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet like Garvey who, by some reports, has had personal financial difficulties of his own over the years is really someone who can rope together a billion bucks from investors. But this being an auction, Garvey’s financial bona fides will be checked beforehand and his group approved by Major League Baseball before he’s allowed to bid.

There appear to be no shortage of other groups trying to get a bid together. Former owner Peter O’Malley said he is.  Mark Cuban may.  Former agent Dennis Gilbert, who was in pursuit for the Rangers last year, may also be interested.  And of course there are always heavily-moneyed people you’ve never heard of who show up on the scene in such instances.

The kicker to all of this: if the bidding does get hot and heavy and the price goes up, Frank McCourt may actually walk away from this thing with a lot of dough even after he pays off his copious debts.  Which would push me that much closer to simply becoming a nihilist.

1. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Nov 3, 2011 at 7:35 AM

I saw we start assembling HBT Nation to pool together and buy the team. We could go the direction of trying to actually put together a great team or we could do a lottery to trade decent players to our own favorite teams. I’m in for five bucks!

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 7:52 AM

I’m all for this idea as long as I am named GM. My first order of business is to trade Matt Kemp to the Phillies for Fat Joe Blanton.

• natstowngreg - Nov 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Forget it. Kemp goes to the Nats for Brian Bixler, Chris Marrero, and an autographed Stephen Strasburg baseball.

• Jeff M. - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Kemp stays with the Dodgers. Sorry, gentlemen!

• sdelmonte - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Wait. If a billion people are looking to buy, each just needs to give McCourt a buck. Which means your five bucks makes you the largest shareholder.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Count me in for $10.00. Biceps…as GM you will have to agree to allow a trade of Kershaw to the Cardinals for Jake Westbrook.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Consider it done if I’m elected GM.

• Jeff M. - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Nope, sorry! Kershaw stays, too.

• Jeff M. - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:12 AM

You can have Uribe, if you like?

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM

The only thing HBT Nation can agree on is that the Marlins hats are ugly.
      Imagine running a team . . . you could charge admission for ownership meetings!

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:00 PM

badmama; good idea! Another revenue stream. I think we might be the front runner for this gig. I’m in for 20 bucks in loonies. That’s like exotic currency. I don’t wanna manage or run the team in any way. I wanna play shortstop and bat lead off. I’m scrappy. I got grit. Got my own bat and glove, too….

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Scrappy and gritty . . . bet you’re classy too.

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM

with leadership qualities, too.

• Alex K - Nov 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I thought you wanted to catch, Mr. Cur Molina?

• cur68 - Nov 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I could do that, too. Hell I own part of the team; I could pitch whenever I wanted as well.

• tacklemeelmo - Nov 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Heck I pay $20 a year to do this with Baseball Mogul. I’m in for $100 at least to do so with a real team.

2. seanb20124 - Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Honk if Steve Garvey is your daddy. Haha remember those bumper stickers

• Old Gator - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Betcha Steve can’t wait for the cheerleader tryouts.

3. gvots - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Yah! We believes in nothing, Lebowski!

• Old Gator - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM

You’re in over your head, Frank.

• SmackSaw - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Calmer than you are.

• Kyle - Nov 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

That must be exhausting.

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM

If Wally Backman should just come up the dough this would be an auction worth following.

• Joe - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Or Lenny Dykstra, for that matter.

5. genericcommenter - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Wasn’t this guy having trouble paying the utilities at his home not that long ago? So now he’s going to head a group to buy a team from another guy who can’t pay his bills? That makes sense.

• cleareye1 - Nov 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Garvey has no chance to be involved with the Dodgers again, ever.
      Hershiser could, in the right capacity.

THe Dodgers need to be bought by an LA interest with an imagination!

6. SmackSaw - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Peter O’Malley would go a long way to restore credibility. A conglomeration of O’Malley, Dennis Gilbert and Ron Burkle would do it. O’Malley’s name, Gilbert’s dedication and Burkle’s quest for anonymity it should work.

7. cleareye1 - Nov 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM

McCourt was just a sucker. His wife screws her chauffeur, hires a mystic, buys multiple homes, demands a useless title and then stiffs his agreement with her on ownership! I’ve never heard of anyone getting a shaft that big!
    It’ll be nice to see him gone though, but she may still be around LA to laugh at so what the hell?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet