Nov 3, 2011, 7:28 AM EDT
ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that former Dodger first baseman Steve Garvey is preparing to put in a bid for the team in the upcoming bankruptcy auction which will finally wrest control of the team from the clutches of Frank McCourt.
As I said back then, one has to wonder whether a motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet like Garvey who, by some reports, has had personal financial difficulties of his own over the years is really someone who can rope together a billion bucks from investors. But this being an auction, Garvey’s financial bona fides will be checked beforehand and his group approved by Major League Baseball before he’s allowed to bid.
There appear to be no shortage of other groups trying to get a bid together. Former owner Peter O’Malley said he is. Mark Cuban may. Former agent Dennis Gilbert, who was in pursuit for the Rangers last year, may also be interested. And of course there are always heavily-moneyed people you’ve never heard of who show up on the scene in such instances.
The kicker to all of this: if the bidding does get hot and heavy and the price goes up, Frank McCourt may actually walk away from this thing with a lot of dough even after he pays off his copious debts. Which would push me that much closer to simply becoming a nihilist.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)