Nov 3, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
Fox’s Jon Paul Morosi tweets that the Dodgers have signed outfielder Juan Rivera to one-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal is, as always, pending a physical. The $4.5 million is a pay cut from the $5.25 million he made in 2011.
Rivera split time between the Blue Jays and the Dodgers last year, coming to L.A. in a midseason trade after the Jays DFA’d him. Last winter he was part of the Mike Napoli/Vernon Wells deal, moving from Anaheim to Toronto.
In 521 overall plate appearances he hit .258/.319/.382 with 11 homers. He can play some first base too, so he’s a credible bench/utility guy even if the hitting doesn’t improve enough to justify a starting corner outfield job. Which it probably won’t, but he’s not chopped liver either.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)