Nov 3, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
Fox’s Jon Paul Morosi tweets that the Dodgers have signed outfielder Juan Rivera to one-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal is, as always, pending a physical. The $4.5 million is a pay cut from the $5.25 million he made in 2011.
Rivera split time between the Blue Jays and the Dodgers last year, coming to L.A. in a midseason trade after the Jays DFA’d him. Last winter he was part of the Mike Napoli/Vernon Wells deal, moving from Anaheim to Toronto.
In 521 overall plate appearances he hit .258/.319/.382 with 11 homers. He can play some first base too, so he’s a credible bench/utility guy even if the hitting doesn’t improve enough to justify a starting corner outfield job. Which it probably won’t, but he’s not chopped liver either.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)