The Marlins’ new ballpark is green

Nov 3, 2011, 2:00 PM EST

A fan holds a placard during an MLB National League baseball game between the Marlins and the Nationals in Miami

No, not the color green. Green as in environmentally friendly green. Or at least as environmentally friendly a ballpark in a neighborhood not accessible by useful mass transit can possibly be!

The kitchen hosts energy efficient appliances and the hood is self cleaning, which means no chemicals are needed. The paint in the stadium emits less toxic fumes, Estevez reported. Water usage will be down by 50 percent, thanks in part to waterless urinals. That represents savings of 4.4 million gallons of water.

Might I note at this juncture that I don’t understand the sorcery and voodoo which hath wrought waterless urinals? I am about as wigged out every time I encounter one of those things as I would be if I were to see my dead grandmother crawling up my leg with a knife in her teeth.  But yay environment.

(thanks to Old Gator for the link. It’s cute seeing him trying to be positive about the Marlins, even if we know it won’t last)

1. halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM

They can try to go “green” and environmental, but all of that will be nullified by all the hot air that comes from Ozzie Guillen this year. Expect the ambient temperature to rise by 10 degrees in the stadium.

• philsieg - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Nah, I have it on good authority that they are building a wind turbine to harness Ozzie’s verbosity and turn it into electricity to power that weird, garish scoreboard thingy that was posted here awhile back.

2. Joe - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Waterless urinals use basically the same technology that creates a black-and-tan. Or perhaps the science behind preserving your pesto with a layer of olive oil is a better comp. In this case, the urine is more dense than whatever chemical is in there, so the chemical basically keeps your pee from stinking up the joint.

• aaronmoreno - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Still beats the trough.

• Tyree Studio - Nov 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hate pee troughs.

• 12strikes - Nov 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Noting worse then Franklin Field in Philadelphia. Went there to see a Philadelphia Stars game when i was about 12. Walked int the mens room, and every one was “going” against the wall. there was a pipe about 12 feet up with water flowing down the wall. I walked in turned around and went out. Think I did a Jimmy Dugan pee when I got home ( Jimmy Dugan being my Base Ball Reference in this story)

• b7p19 - Nov 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Real men pee in throughs.

• Old Gator - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Real men pee on the Bushes.

• umrguy42 - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

The building I’m currently working at got renovated recently, and they put in waterless urinals. I hate ‘em.

I do “love” though that they put in piping that *should* go for plumbing, like if they decide to go to regular ones in the future or something.

(Also, they need to put the Muzak back in the bathrooms – I don’t need to hear the people in the stalls doing their business, thanks.)

• Tyree Studio - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

People should at least give a courtesy flush.

3. 78mu - Nov 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM

No way is the stadium green.

It’s the one color left out of the new logo. No one in the Marlin organization must like it.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM

If they added green Q-bert could be their official mascot.

4. ta192 - Nov 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Not unless their air conditioning runs on the anti-Castro vibes in the neighborhood…

• Old Gator - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Obama won 40% of the Cuban vote, folks. The dinosaur generation, that blowhard bullshit artist of a Senator Rubio of ours notwithstanding, is heading the same way as the last set of dinosaurs. Their kids aren’t taking the whole anti-Castro thing very passionately, either. They may pay it lip service (though many don’t even bother to do that), but their heart isn’t in it as much as it’s in figuring out how to pay back their student loans. They gas up at Citgo and fill Hugo Chavez’s pockets without a second thought if the gas their is a few cents cheaper, which down here it usually is. A few years ago I was at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium watching a Feesh game when the pan-cams put up on the dumbotron a kid from the audience who looked a lot like Elian Gonzalez. Some of the Cuban teenagers in the stands near us began mocking the screen – “Ooooooh, es Elian! Eeee-lian! Eeee-lian!” Some of the older Cubans in the area were shooting dagger looks at these teenagers as they goofed and laughed. That’s how it is these days.The generations passeth away, like the Good Book says. Even in Macondo.

• ta192 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Always thought the Cubans should LOVE Castro, not hate him. After all, if it weren’t for him, Cuban immigrants wouldn’t have any more legal standing than any other Caribbean native…

5. kjm344 - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Maybe some big name baseball stadiums should adopt this eco-friendly habits in order to actually make a difference

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester