Nov 3, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Tony LaCava was very professional with his comments about the Orioles, saying they handled the interview process with class and explaining that his decision to turn down the general manager job was due to wanting to remain with the Blue Jays.
That never really passed the smell test, at least not entirely, and sure enough Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Orioles owner Peter Angelos rebuffed LaCava’s desire to remake the team’s front office:
LaCava wanted to clear out some long-term front-office people whose jobs have been protected by Angelos. Angelos refused to do that, even though he was willing to pay LaCava a competitive salary and to bring in other front-office people that LaCava wanted to hire (including Mike Berger, currently the director of pro scouting with the Diamondbacks).
The fact that few top candidates want to work for Angelos is certainly nothing new, but Buck Showalter’s involvement and the perception that he might be the guy ultimately running the show has seemingly made the Orioles’ job even less appealing than usual. Jerry Dipoto joined LaCava in turning down the gig and the Orioles have expanded their GM search to include several candidates who weren’t involved in the first batch of interviews.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (103)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)