Nov 3, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Tony LaCava was very professional with his comments about the Orioles, saying they handled the interview process with class and explaining that his decision to turn down the general manager job was due to wanting to remain with the Blue Jays.
That never really passed the smell test, at least not entirely, and sure enough Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Orioles owner Peter Angelos rebuffed LaCava’s desire to remake the team’s front office:
LaCava wanted to clear out some long-term front-office people whose jobs have been protected by Angelos. Angelos refused to do that, even though he was willing to pay LaCava a competitive salary and to bring in other front-office people that LaCava wanted to hire (including Mike Berger, currently the director of pro scouting with the Diamondbacks).
The fact that few top candidates want to work for Angelos is certainly nothing new, but Buck Showalter’s involvement and the perception that he might be the guy ultimately running the show has seemingly made the Orioles’ job even less appealing than usual. Jerry Dipoto joined LaCava in turning down the gig and the Orioles have expanded their GM search to include several candidates who weren’t involved in the first batch of interviews.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)