Yet another candidate pulls out of running for O’s GM job

Nov 3, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT

dejon watson getty Getty Images

It just gets uglier and uglier for the Orioles.

According to SI’s Jon Heyman, Dodgers assistant GM DeJon Watson has pulled his name out of the running for Baltimore’s vacancy at general manager.

Watson was never a favorite for the job, but he’s now the third candidate to drop out of the ongoing hunt voluntarily — following in the footsteps of Jerry Dipoto, who was later hired by the Angels, and Tony LaCava, who opted to return to his role as an assistant within the Blue Jays’ talented front office.

The Orioles are down to their own director of player development, John Stockstill, and Phillies assistant GM Scott Proefrock. They’ll also interview longtime baseball executive Dan Duquette on Friday.

Eventually the O’s will find a match. And they’ll surely tell the world how proud they are to have him. But this is an organization that has been spurned in the past by top free agents and now we’re bearing witness to respected front office executives bolting from the GM opening as if it’s a gig on the line at a fast food joint.

1. halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Breaking News: Oscar the Grouch has turned down the GM job, being the 4th to do so. He sited a preference to remain in his trash can on Sesame Street.

• lyon810 - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I’m going to cite a lack of ability to spell

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM

*** Cited.

Long day, spelling cop.

• lyon810 - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM

“cited” makes no sense in MY sentence

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM

lyon810,

You are probably an Orioles fan. Sorry that your team is shitty and that the Orioles lost half of of their fan base to the Nationals. I guess the best you have to offer is a smart ass correction of my mistake of using “sited” as opposed to “cited” correctly in my initial comment.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

See there, I used “of” twice in my sentence above just to piss you off.

2. natsattack - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Breaking News#2:
    His worm also did.

3. TestSubjekt - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Didn’t Buster Olney say they were planning on interviewing JP Ricciardi? =) As a Blue Jays fan that is still who I hope the O’s hire

• stinkfist5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM

If you are truly interested in the candidates, check out http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/

Who would hire a guy named De Jon for any high ranking position? It sounds like the O’s weren’t interested in Watson or Stocksill. I’d say Thad Levine has a sound chance at this job. Hell, he’s got Natty Boh and Old Bay flowing through his veins, why wouldn’t he want the job.

I know the O’s organization is the laughing stock of pro sports, what homegrown kid wouldn’t want to bring them back to relevance?

• Old Gator - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:30 AM

‘Who would hire a guy named De Jon for any high ranking position?”

Someone who made sandwiches for a living.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM

JP would be ideal.

4. Travis Reitsma - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I hear Jim Bowden’s looking for a gig. Anyone? No?

Also as a Jays’ fan, I think Riccardi would be a good hire for the O’s. Not because he necessarily did a good job, but because he’s CAPABLE of it. He’s worked in several smart and progressive front offices and it’s not like he was a complete disaster in TO. I imagine he’s learned from that experience and being a progressive front office person, he might thrive with a second chance.

5. Kevin S. - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Here’s to hoping Damon Oppenheimer is the next to turn the gig down.

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I, too, am officially pulling my name from consideration from the Baltimore Orioles GM vacancy. I’d like to thank them for their time and the class they showed, but right now, the best thing for me and my family is for me to continue to destroy trees through my corporate job.

Thank you.

• Kyle - Nov 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Hahaha, well done, sir.

But seriously, this is starting to get ridiculous.

7. Ben - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Bruce Chen for Orioles’ GM!

8. raycornwall - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

They should interview Tim Tebow. He can’t know less about baseball than he does football, and he’d probably put more butts in seats than anyone other than Ripken…

9. section4row24 - Nov 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM

How’s about Mike Veeck, son of Bill Veeck. If nothing else it would put fun back into going to see Oriole games.
    A lot of baseball knowledge has rubbed off of the great Bill Veeck and should help fill the park and maybe get enough revenue to buy some decent free agents.
    I wonder if Chuck Finely has a son or daughter who might be available if Mike isn’t available.
    Even better Finley & Veeck as co GM.
    Now that boggles my mind and should lead to double the fun at The Yard.

10. cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Getting a fish fork to the eye > Orioles GM it seems…this just in, Tim Tebow has turned down the Orioles, too. Where will this all end?

11. JBerardi - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM

With the Royals now loaded with young talent, and the Pirates at least heading in that direction, are the Os now the single most hopeless franchise in baseball?

12. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM

In order to turn the franchise around they’er going to have to be unconventional – luckily for them they have the perfect answer in house – an individual willing to go where no one has gone before – with that in mind I nominate Luke Scott to be be a Player/GM – he’s the only one with the intellectual equipment to consider things the ordinary person things are completely ridiculous!

13. stinkfist5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Forst would be a nice change of pace. I doubt Angelos will go with a 30 something Harvard grad, but I’m just saying.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4780)