Nov 4, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT
This from CSNChicago.com is pretty funny. Old boss, meet the new boss: Theo Epstein and former Cubs GM Jim Hendry were at the same event at the Palm Restaurant in Chicago last night. Actually had some small talk and everything.
I only met Jim Hendry once and it was for about ten minutes when he just plopped down next to me in the press box at Spring Training last March. There wasn’t much more than our own small talk, but to the extent you can judge a person in such settings, I got the sense that there aren’t many people more comfortable in their own skin than Jim Hendry. Just seemed like a totally grounded and well-adjusted dude. In contrast, other GMs don’t often just hang around and shoot the breeze with, well, anyone. At least at spring training.
So I guess if there was any awkwardness in all of that, it was probably on Epstein’s part, not Hendry’s. Hell, he probably bought Epstein a drink.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)