Awkward much? Jim Hendry and Theo Epstein meet at a restaurant

Nov 4, 2011, 3:23 PM EST

hendry-110116.standard[1]

This from CSNChicago.com is pretty funny.  Old boss, meet the new boss: Theo Epstein and former Cubs GM Jim Hendry were at the same event at the Palm Restaurant in Chicago last night.  Actually had some small talk and everything.

I only met Jim Hendry once and it was for about ten minutes when he just plopped down next to me in the press box at Spring Training last March. There wasn’t much more than our own small talk, but to the extent you can judge a person in such settings, I got the sense that there aren’t many people more comfortable in their own skin than Jim Hendry. Just seemed like a totally grounded and well-adjusted dude. In contrast, other GMs don’t often just hang around and shoot the breeze with, well, anyone. At least at spring training.

So I guess if there was any awkwardness in all of that, it was probably on Epstein’s part, not Hendry’s. Hell, he probably bought Epstein a drink.

1. b7p19 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Sounds like Craig has himself a man-crush.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Are the terms man-crush and bromance the same thing? These new colloquialisms always confuse me.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Bromance is mutual man-crushing.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Thanks, Stairs. So, bromance is the noun and man-crushing is the action or verb.

• b7p19 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I think what Stairs is saying is: The difference is a man-crush is a one way street whereas the bromance needs to be acknowledged by both sides. Hendry would have to have a man-crush on Craig in order for this to be a bromance.

Now I’m going to go drink an entire bottle of Jack and try to forget the past 3 minutes of my life. Thank God you people don’t know me.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM

b7p19 got it right. Give Jack my regards.

2. ck101 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Jim’s stewardship of the Cubs may have been lacking, but the man once bought a round of beers for a group of schmoes, one of which was me, in the bar of the hotel where the Cubs were staying during a Pittsburgh road trip, simply because one of the schmoes was wearing a Cubs hat. Based solely on that he’s aces in my book.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Hendry’s well-known to be an awesome person and easy to work with.

What’s interesting to me is, the aesthetic change in the front office from Hendry to Theo; it’s like uncasting Steve Buchemi in a movie and replacing him with George Clooney.

• bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Excellent simile!

4. bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM

The cynical me says this screams “negotiated pre-scripted public meeting with replacement” to show how well-adjusted Hendry is, and to remind everyone who is still hiring that Jim Hendry is out there waiting for their call.

The optimist in me says this whispers how two gentleman act in civil society, and doesn’t mean much else.

5. 78mu - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Hendry offered him a 7 year 180 million contract. He can’t break the habit.

• b7p19 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM

ZING! Nice guy or not, he certainly had an addiction to bad contracts.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

While as a Cub fan that joke made me cringe a little, I couldn’t help but laugh pretty hard at it. I’m imagining seeing Hendry walking around public events and going “Hi, Jim Hendry, nice to meet ya. How’s about 5 years, 110 million?” to passers by.

6. sdelmonte - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Theo has got to stop going to eateries in Chicago without a disguise.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM

“Man, it would be so cool to run into Theo like that guy did at Starbucks in October. Though it was kinda cool that I ran into Salvador Dali at Cosi the other day.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2733)
  2. W. Myers (2488)
  3. C. McGehee (2092)
  4. D. Ross (2091)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1938)
  1. J. Shields (1833)