Bob Forsch 1950-2011

Nov 4, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Bob Forsch, a former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher, throws out ceremonial first pitch before the Cardinals met the Texas Rangers in Game 7 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis

Sad news: Longtime Cardinals pitcher Bob Forsch died unexpectedly last night at the age of 61.  According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Forsch suffered an aneurysm in his upper chest.

Forsch pitched 16 seasons in the bigs, pitching all but 37 of his 498 career games with the Cardinals, the others with the Astros at the end of his career. He went 168-136 with a 3.76 ERA.  He pitched in all three of the Cardinals’ Whitey Herzog-era World Series, getting the ring in 1982.

Damn. We just saw Forsch a week ago when he threw out the first pitch before Game 7 of the World Series.  You never know what’s gonna happen in this world.  Apologies for the cliches, but do make sure you make every day matter, don’t let the frustrations you have with the world consume you and let everyone you care about know it as often as possible.

1. halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM

RIP Bob. I saw him pitch as a kid growing up. He was a very good pitcher back in the day and always pitched well against the Phillies. One of my earliest memories was when he threw a no-hitter against the Phils in the late 70′s.

2. thefalcon123 - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Very sad news. He’s also the only Cardinals pitcher to throw two no-hitters (and he won two silver sluggers!)

While Cardinals fans may remember Bob Tewksbury* as the epitome of non-strikeout pitchers, Forsch actually struck out batters at a lesser rate than Bob. Over his 16 year career, he never once struck out more than 4.5 batters per nine innings!

*Tewksbury accomplished what had to be one of the most unlikeliest feats in baseball. He lead the league in K/BB ratio in 1992 and 1993 while pitching over 200 innings, despite striking out fewer than 100 batters both seasons!

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Yeah, if I recall correctly, Forsch did not throw hard. He seemed to be more of a command/junk ball pitcher who had a pretty good curveball. So, the low strikeout totals do not surprise me.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Yep…and as a baseball junkie…I appreciate you including the trivia Falcon. Both Bob’s were the epitome of control pitchers. RIP Forsch.

3. 78mu - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

As they say on PTI – Bob Forsch! That’s it! That’s the list!

Gibson, Dean, Haines, Cooper, Carlton, Brecheen or any other Cardinal pitcher was able to throw two no-hitters while playing in St. Louis.

How many people would have picked Forsch from those other names to be the guy to throw two no hitters. The first no hitter may have been iffy because Reitz was charged with an error on a ball he didn’t touch but the second was strictly legit.

I’m glad he got back to St. Louis for the WS and was able to hear the cheers one last time. RIP Bob.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Carlton never threw a no-hitter, but probably threw 12 1-hitters in his career. Always a little luck involved with those puppies.

4. stlouis1baseball - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Sad….much too young. Very good Pitcher who was always very well respected. As a kid in the 80′s…I remember him like it was yesterday. Good Pitcher (and by all accounts)…a better person. This stinks.

5. umrguy42 - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

:( At least he got to see the home ballclub win one more championship.

6. Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I know a 92 year old smoker who can still split wood with an axe.

So yeah, you just never know.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM

You know Ernest Borgnine?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

LOL!! I said split wood with an axe, not his overbite.

7. SmackSaw - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Damn.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Didnt he have a brother Ken? I might be mistaken but i swear i remember he had a brother who pitched too. Either way its sad news to hear he passed..

• 78mu - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM

His brother Ken also pitched a no-hitter making them the only brothers to do so.

9. slaydeny - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Sad and shocking news about Bob Forsch dying suddenly. A Cards fan for more than 50 years, my best memory was going to a game in old Busch Stadium when he was playing for the Astros. They had a Bob Forsch night. Showed a clip of highlites of his career in St. Louis, and finished with him drilling Jeffry “on flap down” Leondard in the playoff with San Fran. Cards were down 4-0 at the time, series tied at one, and Jeffry had done his thing on an earlier homer. Forsch still drilled him with a fast ball that would have hurt no one. But he sent a message, Cards came back and won, got to finish two games in St. Louis and won the series to advance. When the clip was shown on the screen the fans roared. Cards’ fans know their stuff. Rest in peach Bob and thank you for coming our way!

• umrguy42 - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I hate to poke fun at your typo, but “rest in peach” made me chuckle.

10. okwhitefalcon - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM

My fondest Forsch memory is the drilling on Jeffrey Leonard in the ’87 NLCS.

A brief recount:

Bob Forsch Knocks One Flap Down

“The dean of the Cardinals pitching staff would take over for Joe Magrane in the fourth inning. After a failed bunt from Robbie Thompson and a sharp single by Kevin Mitchell, Jeffrey Leonard stepped into the batters box. In a bit of old school retribution, Bob Forsch puts a pitch right in Leonard’s rib cage. Leonard takes it like a professional and quietly takes his base. After some shaky infield play, Forsch closed out the inning without any further damage. But he did make a big statement – if the Cardinals bats could just show some sort of life, this could be a game again.”

11. cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Just saw the guy at the start of game 7. He looked so happy. I bet he was thrilled with the WS title, too. I suppose he went out pretty pleased with things, baseball wise, so I guess there’s that. Still, 61 is way too young. Especially for a guy who seemed so happy and full of life as Mr. Forsch did in game 7 for the 1st pitch. Happy trails man.

12. bgrubb - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I remember going to a game at old Busch maybe 15-20years ago… there was a large group of former players, most notably Forsch and Sutter sitting in VIP seats right behind home plate. We were 2 rows behind them in the Diamond Box seats…

In between innings, Bob and Bruce went up for a piss or a beer or something, and on their way back down to their seats they sort of got cornered by a small group of fans at the top of the stairs who wanted autographs. They both obliged, but Bruce got tired of it after a few signatures and went back to his seat to catch the game. Bob however wouldn’t leave until the requests stopped coming…

He was literally down in 1 knee up against a wall next to a beer vendor signing autographs for like 30 minutes and missed a good 2 innings. He came across as a genuinely great guy, and had a big smile on his face the entire time. It was clear that he truly enjoyed interacting with the fans and didn’t want to send anyone away without a souvenir.

I still have my ticket stub signed by Bob from that game. RIP to a true great who knew what Cardinal baseball was all about and what it means to the fans.

13. slaydeny - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

“Rest in peace made me laugh too – and I wrote it. My fingers work faster than my mind at times when I get in a hurry. By the way, Bob Forsch could hit. He was just a good, dependable player. One of his no-hitters was a rain-shortened game, I think, but that was OK. If the game was official and you had a no-hitter, it counted in those days. Poor Harvey Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings and lost to the Braves in 13. I remember listening to the game, as I did many. mnay others, including those when Forsch pitched. KMOX was a godsend to a kid growing up loving baseball and those wearing the uniform with the birds on the bat. So, RIP Bob Forsch.

Three legends off to Cooperstown