Nov 4, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
“Same as he’s been for the past 15 years — as incredible as that may sound. He has a chance to pitch in the big leagues as a fifth starter and win 10 or 12 games. He’s throwing 81 to 83 miles an hour, but he still knows how to make you look like an idiot. He doesn’t need the money. But I think he has that fire burning in his belly.”
Rosenthal says several teams have sent scouts to watch him throw, but that the interest in Moyer is likely to be concentrated on the west coast, with teams in pitcher-friendly parks like San Diego, Seattle, Anaheim and places like that the most likely to take a chance on the 49-year-old lefty.
Only thing that gives me pause is that the usual path back for a Tommy John surgery recipient is to have his velocity — such as it is in Moyer’s case — return before his command and touch. Moyer is all about command and touch. Has been since Clinton’s first term. If there’s even a slight problem with that when he takes the hill in a game situation, it’s gonna look like batting practice.
But hey, if the scouts are saying good things now, you probably have to take their word for it.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 65
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 60
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)