Nov 4, 2011, 9:12 AM EST
“Same as he’s been for the past 15 years — as incredible as that may sound. He has a chance to pitch in the big leagues as a fifth starter and win 10 or 12 games. He’s throwing 81 to 83 miles an hour, but he still knows how to make you look like an idiot. He doesn’t need the money. But I think he has that fire burning in his belly.”
Rosenthal says several teams have sent scouts to watch him throw, but that the interest in Moyer is likely to be concentrated on the west coast, with teams in pitcher-friendly parks like San Diego, Seattle, Anaheim and places like that the most likely to take a chance on the 49-year-old lefty.
Only thing that gives me pause is that the usual path back for a Tommy John surgery recipient is to have his velocity — such as it is in Moyer’s case — return before his command and touch. Moyer is all about command and touch. Has been since Clinton’s first term. If there’s even a slight problem with that when he takes the hill in a game situation, it’s gonna look like batting practice.
But hey, if the scouts are saying good things now, you probably have to take their word for it.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)