Jamie Moyer “Same as he’s been for the past 15 years”

Nov 4, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

Jamie Moyer

We mentioned Jamie Moyer‘s throwing sessions for scouts the other day. Today Ken Rosenthal has some more on that, having spoken to some scouts. The verdict from a scout:

“Same as he’s been for the past 15 years — as incredible as that may sound. He has a chance to pitch in the big leagues as a fifth starter and win 10 or 12 games. He’s throwing 81 to 83 miles an hour, but he still knows how to make you look like an idiot. He doesn’t need the money. But I think he has that fire burning in his belly.”

Rosenthal says several teams have sent scouts to watch him throw, but that the interest in Moyer is likely to be concentrated on the west coast, with teams in pitcher-friendly parks like San Diego, Seattle, Anaheim and places like that the most likely to take a chance on the 49-year-old lefty.

Only thing that gives me pause is that the usual path back for a Tommy John surgery recipient is to have his velocity — such as it is in Moyer’s case — return before his command and touch.  Moyer is all about command and touch. Has been since Clinton’s first term. If there’s even a slight problem with that when he takes the hill in a game situation, it’s gonna look like batting practice.

But hey, if the scouts are saying good things now, you probably have to take their word for it.

1. dodger88 - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM

If his salary expectations are realistic I can’t imagine any team lacking a 5th starter who wouldn’t want to take a chance. I’d like to think he can not only pitch but serve as something of a pitching coach at the same time.

2. icanspeel - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM

It just amazes me that Jamie Moyer has been pitching almost my entire life.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM

He debuted before Justin Upton, Jay Bruce and Elvis Andrus were even born!

3. Old Gator - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Glad he’s still the same. Has he been living in a cryogenic cylinder or something?

• natstowngreg - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:45 PM

ESPN has one in the back of the Baseball Tonight studio. That’s where they keep Moyer when he’s not commentating.

4. sknut - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Dude’s unreal. I still do a double take when I see his age.

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM

“Only thing that gives me pause is that the usual path back for a Tommy John surgery recipient is to have his velocity — such as it is in Moyer’s case — return before his command and touch.”

He’s throwing 81 – 83 mph. I think he does have his velocity back…

• O.Handwasher - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I don’t think Craig was questioning that, and we all know we should use scare quotes on Moyer’s “velocity”. His point was that velocity leads command/control, and until the latter shows up, the results won’t be good.

6. kellyb9 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

15 years ago he would have been 34… and he would have been considered old in terms of baseball.

7. bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM

200+ Wins since Age 32 and he’s not a knuckler . . . that’s all you need to know.

• mashoaf - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Amazing considering most of those Mariner teams were mostly garbage, that could not score runs for him.

8. leftywildcat - Nov 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Left-handed middle inning reliever for the Phillies, with KK the right-handed middle-inning reliever.

9. paulsdamnblog - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Really miss Jamie in Philly. He was great for a guy like Cole Hamels. Really hope, when he hangs it up that the Phillies decide to hire him and make him a special instructor for the young arms in the system. He’s a true pro and a credit to the game.

10. cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I hope the Beaver Men hire Moyer for the bullpen. He can eat middle innings, do loogy work and tutor Romero, Drabek, McGowan, Alverez & Morrow on the finer points of saving the arm while inducing weak pop flies and ground out dribblers. Failing that the Orioles should just hire Moyer as their GM.

11. mgflolox - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

As I’ve said before, I’ll be rooting like hell for Moyer to make it, because if he does, he’ll be the only player in the Majors who’s older than I am.

Final take away from World Series