Nov 4, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
“My instinct is no shot. I think if [GM] Sandy [Alderson] asked for it, ownership would follow his recommendations. But where the money is going to go it is not going to be the best way to spend the money, not on one player and not one player with this hamstring thing.”
“No shot” seems kind of extreme, but it doesn’t seem all that wrong.
There are a lot of teams who could use an elite shortstop and who are willing to take the risk on “this hamstring thing.” I really have a hard time on Reyes having to take the discount that Sherman suggests the Mets would need him to give them in order to sign him. And Alderson’s m.o. has never been to be top-heavy in terms of salary and star power. He’s probably far more content to use the money earmarked for Reyes for other things.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)