Nov 4, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
“My instinct is no shot. I think if [GM] Sandy [Alderson] asked for it, ownership would follow his recommendations. But where the money is going to go it is not going to be the best way to spend the money, not on one player and not one player with this hamstring thing.”
“No shot” seems kind of extreme, but it doesn’t seem all that wrong.
There are a lot of teams who could use an elite shortstop and who are willing to take the risk on “this hamstring thing.” I really have a hard time on Reyes having to take the discount that Sherman suggests the Mets would need him to give them in order to sign him. And Alderson’s m.o. has never been to be top-heavy in terms of salary and star power. He’s probably far more content to use the money earmarked for Reyes for other things.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 12
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 40
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15