Nov 4, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
“My instinct is no shot. I think if [GM] Sandy [Alderson] asked for it, ownership would follow his recommendations. But where the money is going to go it is not going to be the best way to spend the money, not on one player and not one player with this hamstring thing.”
“No shot” seems kind of extreme, but it doesn’t seem all that wrong.
There are a lot of teams who could use an elite shortstop and who are willing to take the risk on “this hamstring thing.” I really have a hard time on Reyes having to take the discount that Sherman suggests the Mets would need him to give them in order to sign him. And Alderson’s m.o. has never been to be top-heavy in terms of salary and star power. He’s probably far more content to use the money earmarked for Reyes for other things.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)