Nov 4, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
It was Andy Warhol who said that, in the future, everyone will interview for the Orioles GM job for 15 minutes. He could paint a little too. Anyway:
The Baltimore Orioles have asked permission to speak to Red Sox vice president of player personnel and pro scouting Allard Baird about their general manager vacancy.
Baird had a pretty disastrous run as the Royals’ GM several years ago but has been in Boston for a long time now and is very well respected in front offices around the game. He’d probably be a good hire for the O’s.
However, as we have chronicled here, here, here, here and here, the Orioles are having a difficult time finding someone who wants to run their team. Probably because whoever takes the GM job realizes that they wouldn’t be running the team. Peter Angelos and his faceless minions scattered around the front office would. And then there’s Buck Showalter down below who probably has his own ideas about personnel and the like.
Where does it go from here? Well, if Baird begs out like several others before him, one has to wonder if Angelos wouldn’t be better off just giving the job to Showalter. Because at this point it looks like people outside of the organization are avoiding Baltimore like it’s radioactive.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (98)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)