Nov 4, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
It was Andy Warhol who said that, in the future, everyone will interview for the Orioles GM job for 15 minutes. He could paint a little too. Anyway:
The Baltimore Orioles have asked permission to speak to Red Sox vice president of player personnel and pro scouting Allard Baird about their general manager vacancy.
Baird had a pretty disastrous run as the Royals’ GM several years ago but has been in Boston for a long time now and is very well respected in front offices around the game. He’d probably be a good hire for the O’s.
However, as we have chronicled here, here, here, here and here, the Orioles are having a difficult time finding someone who wants to run their team. Probably because whoever takes the GM job realizes that they wouldn’t be running the team. Peter Angelos and his faceless minions scattered around the front office would. And then there’s Buck Showalter down below who probably has his own ideas about personnel and the like.
Where does it go from here? Well, if Baird begs out like several others before him, one has to wonder if Angelos wouldn’t be better off just giving the job to Showalter. Because at this point it looks like people outside of the organization are avoiding Baltimore like it’s radioactive.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)