Nov 4, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
It was Andy Warhol who said that, in the future, everyone will interview for the Orioles GM job for 15 minutes. He could paint a little too. Anyway:
The Baltimore Orioles have asked permission to speak to Red Sox vice president of player personnel and pro scouting Allard Baird about their general manager vacancy.
Baird had a pretty disastrous run as the Royals’ GM several years ago but has been in Boston for a long time now and is very well respected in front offices around the game. He’d probably be a good hire for the O’s.
However, as we have chronicled here, here, here, here and here, the Orioles are having a difficult time finding someone who wants to run their team. Probably because whoever takes the GM job realizes that they wouldn’t be running the team. Peter Angelos and his faceless minions scattered around the front office would. And then there’s Buck Showalter down below who probably has his own ideas about personnel and the like.
Where does it go from here? Well, if Baird begs out like several others before him, one has to wonder if Angelos wouldn’t be better off just giving the job to Showalter. Because at this point it looks like people outside of the organization are avoiding Baltimore like it’s radioactive.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)