Nov 4, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
It was Andy Warhol who said that, in the future, everyone will interview for the Orioles GM job for 15 minutes. He could paint a little too. Anyway:
The Baltimore Orioles have asked permission to speak to Red Sox vice president of player personnel and pro scouting Allard Baird about their general manager vacancy.
Baird had a pretty disastrous run as the Royals’ GM several years ago but has been in Boston for a long time now and is very well respected in front offices around the game. He’d probably be a good hire for the O’s.
However, as we have chronicled here, here, here, here and here, the Orioles are having a difficult time finding someone who wants to run their team. Probably because whoever takes the GM job realizes that they wouldn’t be running the team. Peter Angelos and his faceless minions scattered around the front office would. And then there’s Buck Showalter down below who probably has his own ideas about personnel and the like.
Where does it go from here? Well, if Baird begs out like several others before him, one has to wonder if Angelos wouldn’t be better off just giving the job to Showalter. Because at this point it looks like people outside of the organization are avoiding Baltimore like it’s radioactive.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 13
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 64
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)