Nov 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal hears that Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum “appears to be the front-runner” for the Red Sox’ vacant managerial position. Which, given that it’s not a race as much as it is a binary yes/no kind of thing, is not the most illuminating thing in the world, but you know how this stuff goes.
He may very well be the top choice. Earlier today Heyman said that he and Mike Maddux are favored by the Boston brass. And because the Red Sox, Cubs and Cardinals are apparently playing a grand game of musical chairs here, you can kind of figure that Maddux is high on the Cubs list and that Pete Mackanin, Terry Francona and Ryne Sandberg are all eyeing each other warily, waiting for the music to stop.
Hell, all we need now is a “Mystery Manager” to enter the scene and this will be more fun than any chaotic December free agent rumor-fest we’re likely to get.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)