Nov 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal hears that Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum “appears to be the front-runner” for the Red Sox’ vacant managerial position. Which, given that it’s not a race as much as it is a binary yes/no kind of thing, is not the most illuminating thing in the world, but you know how this stuff goes.
He may very well be the top choice. Earlier today Heyman said that he and Mike Maddux are favored by the Boston brass. And because the Red Sox, Cubs and Cardinals are apparently playing a grand game of musical chairs here, you can kind of figure that Maddux is high on the Cubs list and that Pete Mackanin, Terry Francona and Ryne Sandberg are all eyeing each other warily, waiting for the music to stop.
Hell, all we need now is a “Mystery Manager” to enter the scene and this will be more fun than any chaotic December free agent rumor-fest we’re likely to get.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (173)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)