Report: Dale Sveum the favorite for the Red Sox job

Nov 4, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

dale sveum ap AP

Ken Rosenthal hears that Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum “appears to be the front-runner” for the Red Sox’ vacant managerial position.  Which, given that it’s not a race as much as it is a binary yes/no kind of thing, is not the most illuminating thing in the world, but you know how this stuff goes.

He may very well be the top choice. Earlier today Heyman said that he and Mike Maddux are favored by the Boston brass.  And because the Red Sox, Cubs and Cardinals are apparently playing a grand game of musical chairs here, you can kind of figure that Maddux is high on the Cubs list and that Pete Mackanin, Terry Francona and Ryne Sandberg are all eyeing each other warily, waiting for the music to stop.

Hell, all we need now is a “Mystery Manager” to enter the scene and this will be more fun than any chaotic December free agent rumor-fest we’re likely to get.

1. zakharovsa - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It’s me, I am the Mystery Manager.

2. halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

“Mystery Manager.” Let me give you one for the Cubs (because who knows what’s up Theo’s sleeve). The Cubs seem to need a type of manager that can give them some discipline, hold them accountable, and could help immensely with the development of young Starlin Castro at SS. I give you Larry Bowa, former great SS and hard-ass manager.

That’s the best I got and know there is 0% chance.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I’d like to see that. He’d do all the yelling at umps that Chicago was hoping Lou would do.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM

As much as I love Larry Bowa on MLB and his radio gigs, I want to see him manage somewhere again. The dude is too smart not too. He’s mellowed over the years as well. He’s not crazy like his Padres days of managing.

3. crispybasil - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I always love these stories. I read them and automatically think of “Welcome aboard, Mr. Manager.”

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Sort of like what Captain Stubing said when he greeted guests aboard the Love Boat.

4. pogodog7 - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

The Red Sox would be crazy not to at least explore the possibility of having Tony LaRussa for 2 years

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM

He retired.

• poprox13 - Nov 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Actually they would be crazy to do that. TLR is not the type of manager the Sox need. Also could you imagine the length of a Sox-Yankees game if that happened?

5. uyf1950 - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Here is a question for everyone. Your Dale Sveum who apparently is high on both the Sox and Cubs list. Let’s say you are offered both jobs. Which one do you accept?

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Probably the Red Sox. They have the better ball club at this juncture, will compete for the AL East in 2012, and have deeper pockets.

Can you say the same about the Cubs?

• uyf1950 - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM

True, but food for thought. Do you want to work for an ownership group that when the going got tough they threw most everyone under the bus? Granted the Sox are a lot closer to being very good than the Cubs.

…but, accepting a Cubs offer you probably get a little grace period because of expectations. Everyone knows they are a little ways off from being good or competing. And the work atmosphere might be more to his liking.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM

uyf1950,

Valid point. Either way, he can’t go wrong. I would say this. If it didn’t work out for Sveum in Boston, he would maybe be looked on more favorably for a future job, with front offices in MLB knowing the Boston’s front office use their managers as scape goats. Besides, managing the Red Sox has to be a great bullet on your resume, no?

• uyf1950 - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM

halladay…, absolutely you are correct.

• stinkinfish - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Cubs. Lower expectations and the chance to be worshipped like a god in the city of Chicago, if by some miracle, you are able to win a championship.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Is baldness a prerequisite for being a Boston Field Manager these days?

Wow, he really does look like a bald Richard Gere.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Yes. David Ortiz has it in all of his contract clauses.

• nightman13 - Nov 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Yes, it’s right under Clause 4: Former Brewers Player

7. aaronmoreno - Nov 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Everyone knows the Mystery Manager is Bobby Valentine. It always is.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I hope Sveum gets the Sox job. I like Dale. I don’t know if he’llbe a good manager but I will be rooting for him if he gets it.

9. tominma - Nov 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM

This is pure speculation!! The interview process is FAR from complete. BTW, how do you pronounce his name. I heard it once and it’s doenst sound like it looks!

• brewcrewfan54 - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Either does Brett Favre’s.

10. damnyankee13 - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

hope he can tend bar

11. 8man - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM

It’s pronounced “Swame”.

Yes. We need another manager who resembles Jean Luc Picard.

“Make it so!”

Still gonna miss Tito. Hell, the guy is 8-0 in World Series games. I’m 47. No one in my lifetime, or my passed father’s lifetime can claim that as a Red Sox manager.

Go Sox!

• damnyankee13 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM

far as I know, tito is the ONLY manager in Sox history to go 8-0 in the WS.The Sox were stupid to let him go.

12. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I hope Dale coaches the same way he played, he sucked as a player

13. bobwsc - Nov 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

the Lucchino puppet regime continues

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2832)
  2. W. Myers (2596)
  3. D. Ross (2318)
  4. C. McGehee (2227)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2026)
  1. J. Shields (1938)