Nov 4, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
The Hot Stove is off and running.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies and Jim Thome have agreed on a one-year contract, pending a physical. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com was told by a source that the veteran slugger will receive $1.25 million.
Thome, who currently sits at eighth place on the all-time list with 604 career homers, batted .256/.361/.477 with 15 homers, 50 RBI and an .838 OPS over 324 plate appearances this season between the Twins and Indians. He previously played with the Phillies from 2003-2005 before being traded to the White Sox in the deal that brought Aaron Rowand to Philadelphia.
The 41-year-old Thome provides an interesting insurance policy at first base for Ryan Howard, who is coming off surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles. However, it’s worth noting that he hasn’t started a game there since 2007 and hasn’t played there regularly since his last stint in Philadelphia. Simply put, if all goes according to plan, he’ll likely function as a left-handed bat off the bench. Now reunited with Charlie Manuel, this is mostly about giving him his best chance at finally getting a World Series ring.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)