Nov 4, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Dave Page, the strength and conditioning coach let go by the Red Sox yesterday, told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “was surprised” by the firing and “it caught me off guard that it happened now and not right after the season.”
In other words, once the constant headlines about beer, fried chicken, and video games in the clubhouse finally died down Page thought his job was safe. He’d been with the Red Sox for six seasons and was named strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2007.
Here’s more from Page:
We had a great program in my opinion and we added to it a little every year. But sometimes perception goes a long way whether it’s right or wrong.
“Sometimes perception goes a long way whether it’s right or wrong” could be the motto of the Red Sox’s offseason, at least so far.
Page told Abraham that at least a half-dozen players called him after news of the firing, adding that “Papelbon and Youkilis were less than pleased. I can tell you that.” Interestingly, none of the pitchers implicated in the beer/fried chicken/video games stuff were included on the list of callers.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)