Nov 4, 2011, 8:40 PM EST
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that while the Cardinals interviewed former catcher and fan favorite Mike Matheny for their managerial vacancy today, they didn’t meet with Terry Francona.
John Dennis of WEEI in Boston, who was all over the Theo Epstein situation, reported yesterday that Francona was en route to St. Louis for an interview, but that apparently didn’t happen. However, it’s not yet clear if the Cardinals simply intend to interview the former Red Sox manager at a later date or if he is no longer under consideration for the job.
In addition to Matheny, the Cardinals met this week with Triple-A Memphis manager Chris Maloney and new White Sox third base coach Joe McEwing. More candidates could surface in the coming days, but Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo and Cubs legend and Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg are also expected to get interviews.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)