Nov 4, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that while the Cardinals interviewed former catcher and fan favorite Mike Matheny for their managerial vacancy today, they didn’t meet with Terry Francona.
John Dennis of WEEI in Boston, who was all over the Theo Epstein situation, reported yesterday that Francona was en route to St. Louis for an interview, but that apparently didn’t happen. However, it’s not yet clear if the Cardinals simply intend to interview the former Red Sox manager at a later date or if he is no longer under consideration for the job.
In addition to Matheny, the Cardinals met this week with Triple-A Memphis manager Chris Maloney and new White Sox third base coach Joe McEwing. More candidates could surface in the coming days, but Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo and Cubs legend and Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg are also expected to get interviews.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)