Nov 4, 2011, 8:40 PM EDT
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that while the Cardinals interviewed former catcher and fan favorite Mike Matheny for their managerial vacancy today, they didn’t meet with Terry Francona.
John Dennis of WEEI in Boston, who was all over the Theo Epstein situation, reported yesterday that Francona was en route to St. Louis for an interview, but that apparently didn’t happen. However, it’s not yet clear if the Cardinals simply intend to interview the former Red Sox manager at a later date or if he is no longer under consideration for the job.
In addition to Matheny, the Cardinals met this week with Triple-A Memphis manager Chris Maloney and new White Sox third base coach Joe McEwing. More candidates could surface in the coming days, but Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo and Cubs legend and Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg are also expected to get interviews.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 22
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)