Nov 4, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
In trying to chart a course for the San Francisco Giants, Jon Paul Morosi is either thinking outside the box or trolling. I’m not sure which:
So if the Giants wish to maximize their odds of returning to the World Series, they have two choices.
2. Trade one of those prized starters for impact bats, because the day is fast approaching when the Giants won’t be able to afford them all.
And if the Giants blanch at the going rates in free agency, the most practical move might be to trade Mr. Two-Time Cy Young Award Winner himself. Yes. Lincecum.
I get the idea that to get something you gotta give something, but this seems rather extreme. Both in terms of what to obtain — the most expensive free agent bat on the market — and in terms of what to give up to do that — one of baseball’s truly unique and valuable pitching talents. There’s no middle course here? Say, trading Matt Cain instead and upgrading the offense on an incremental basis?
Maybe the Giants could swing a winning trade involving Lincecum and still be successful in the short run, but I can’t shake the notion that most of the time, if you’re giving up the better player in a trade, you’re losing that trade.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (105)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)