Nov 4, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
I started blogging about baseball in earnest in April 2007. It seems like a million years ago. But some things are all the same. Just like I did back then, I’m still writing about a woman named Ellen Massey who was injured when a drunk fat guy fell on her on Opening Day at Shea Stadium that year. She sued the Mets and the case has been hurtling through the courts for over four years.
Well, our long national nightmare is over. The Mets have settled the suit. And for those of you who want to say I’m being insensitive by calling the co-defendant “fat,” well, your time might be better spent yelling at the New York Post for their take on it all:
Fat’s all, folks! A woman who had her back broken by a falling fat guy at Shea Stadium has settled her big buck lawsuit against the Mets, court records show. Ellen Massey blamed the team for her injuries, contending they knew or should have known the drunken 300-pound fan five rows above her was a problem, and they did nothing to stop him from tormenting the other people in her section.
That fan, Timothy Cassidy, denies he was drunk, but witnesses said he was so sloshed, he couldn’t even complete the “Let’s go Mets!” chant.
And lest you have ANY sympathy for Cassidy, know that his defense was that he didn’t drunkenly fall. Rather, it was that he was pushed by another guy who was mad at him for being on his Blackberry rather than paying attention to the game. Plausible! But the behavior is no less horrid.
Anyway, glad to see the wheels of justice spin efficiently as always.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 8
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)