Nov 4, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
I started blogging about baseball in earnest in April 2007. It seems like a million years ago. But some things are all the same. Just like I did back then, I’m still writing about a woman named Ellen Massey who was injured when a drunk fat guy fell on her on Opening Day at Shea Stadium that year. She sued the Mets and the case has been hurtling through the courts for over four years.
Well, our long national nightmare is over. The Mets have settled the suit. And for those of you who want to say I’m being insensitive by calling the co-defendant “fat,” well, your time might be better spent yelling at the New York Post for their take on it all:
Fat’s all, folks! A woman who had her back broken by a falling fat guy at Shea Stadium has settled her big buck lawsuit against the Mets, court records show. Ellen Massey blamed the team for her injuries, contending they knew or should have known the drunken 300-pound fan five rows above her was a problem, and they did nothing to stop him from tormenting the other people in her section.
That fan, Timothy Cassidy, denies he was drunk, but witnesses said he was so sloshed, he couldn’t even complete the “Let’s go Mets!” chant.
And lest you have ANY sympathy for Cassidy, know that his defense was that he didn’t drunkenly fall. Rather, it was that he was pushed by another guy who was mad at him for being on his Blackberry rather than paying attention to the game. Plausible! But the behavior is no less horrid.
Anyway, glad to see the wheels of justice spin efficiently as always.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)