Nov 4, 2011, 5:34 PM EST
I started blogging about baseball in earnest in April 2007. It seems like a million years ago. But some things are all the same. Just like I did back then, I’m still writing about a woman named Ellen Massey who was injured when a drunk fat guy fell on her on Opening Day at Shea Stadium that year. She sued the Mets and the case has been hurtling through the courts for over four years.
Well, our long national nightmare is over. The Mets have settled the suit. And for those of you who want to say I’m being insensitive by calling the co-defendant “fat,” well, your time might be better spent yelling at the New York Post for their take on it all:
Fat’s all, folks! A woman who had her back broken by a falling fat guy at Shea Stadium has settled her big buck lawsuit against the Mets, court records show. Ellen Massey blamed the team for her injuries, contending they knew or should have known the drunken 300-pound fan five rows above her was a problem, and they did nothing to stop him from tormenting the other people in her section.
That fan, Timothy Cassidy, denies he was drunk, but witnesses said he was so sloshed, he couldn’t even complete the “Let’s go Mets!” chant.
And lest you have ANY sympathy for Cassidy, know that his defense was that he didn’t drunkenly fall. Rather, it was that he was pushed by another guy who was mad at him for being on his Blackberry rather than paying attention to the game. Plausible! But the behavior is no less horrid.
Anyway, glad to see the wheels of justice spin efficiently as always.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)