Nov 4, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
I started blogging about baseball in earnest in April 2007. It seems like a million years ago. But some things are all the same. Just like I did back then, I’m still writing about a woman named Ellen Massey who was injured when a drunk fat guy fell on her on Opening Day at Shea Stadium that year. She sued the Mets and the case has been hurtling through the courts for over four years.
Well, our long national nightmare is over. The Mets have settled the suit. And for those of you who want to say I’m being insensitive by calling the co-defendant “fat,” well, your time might be better spent yelling at the New York Post for their take on it all:
Fat’s all, folks! A woman who had her back broken by a falling fat guy at Shea Stadium has settled her big buck lawsuit against the Mets, court records show. Ellen Massey blamed the team for her injuries, contending they knew or should have known the drunken 300-pound fan five rows above her was a problem, and they did nothing to stop him from tormenting the other people in her section.
That fan, Timothy Cassidy, denies he was drunk, but witnesses said he was so sloshed, he couldn’t even complete the “Let’s go Mets!” chant.
And lest you have ANY sympathy for Cassidy, know that his defense was that he didn’t drunkenly fall. Rather, it was that he was pushed by another guy who was mad at him for being on his Blackberry rather than paying attention to the game. Plausible! But the behavior is no less horrid.
Anyway, glad to see the wheels of justice spin efficiently as always.
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)