Nov 4, 2011, 5:34 PM EDT
I started blogging about baseball in earnest in April 2007. It seems like a million years ago. But some things are all the same. Just like I did back then, I’m still writing about a woman named Ellen Massey who was injured when a drunk fat guy fell on her on Opening Day at Shea Stadium that year. She sued the Mets and the case has been hurtling through the courts for over four years.
Well, our long national nightmare is over. The Mets have settled the suit. And for those of you who want to say I’m being insensitive by calling the co-defendant “fat,” well, your time might be better spent yelling at the New York Post for their take on it all:
Fat’s all, folks! A woman who had her back broken by a falling fat guy at Shea Stadium has settled her big buck lawsuit against the Mets, court records show. Ellen Massey blamed the team for her injuries, contending they knew or should have known the drunken 300-pound fan five rows above her was a problem, and they did nothing to stop him from tormenting the other people in her section.
That fan, Timothy Cassidy, denies he was drunk, but witnesses said he was so sloshed, he couldn’t even complete the “Let’s go Mets!” chant.
And lest you have ANY sympathy for Cassidy, know that his defense was that he didn’t drunkenly fall. Rather, it was that he was pushed by another guy who was mad at him for being on his Blackberry rather than paying attention to the game. Plausible! But the behavior is no less horrid.
Anyway, glad to see the wheels of justice spin efficiently as always.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)