Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
None of their top candidates want the job and now the Orioles aren’t being allowed to pursue one of their fallback choices, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Twins denied them permission to interview Mike Radcliff.
Radcliff has been with the Twins for 25 years as their longtime scouting director and current vice president of player personnel.
On my Twins-centric podcast earlier this week I wondered why Radcliff has rarely been linked to general manager openings in the past despite the Twins’ decade-long run of success for which he’s always given tons of credit.
My assumption upon hearing that the Orioles were interested in Radcliff was that the Twins would let him pursue the job, so their denial is certainly surprising. Or maybe Radcliff just had no interest in the gig and asked the Twins to deny permission.
If the Twins have another poor year Radcliff could be next line to take over as GM in Minnesota, but there’s no indication that Bill Smith is truly on the hot seat yet. As for the Orioles, the list of candidates who’re interested in the job and allowed to interview by their current employer is rapidly shrinking to one name: You guessed it, Frank Stallone.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)