Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
None of their top candidates want the job and now the Orioles aren’t being allowed to pursue one of their fallback choices, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Twins denied them permission to interview Mike Radcliff.
Radcliff has been with the Twins for 25 years as their longtime scouting director and current vice president of player personnel.
On my Twins-centric podcast earlier this week I wondered why Radcliff has rarely been linked to general manager openings in the past despite the Twins’ decade-long run of success for which he’s always given tons of credit.
My assumption upon hearing that the Orioles were interested in Radcliff was that the Twins would let him pursue the job, so their denial is certainly surprising. Or maybe Radcliff just had no interest in the gig and asked the Twins to deny permission.
If the Twins have another poor year Radcliff could be next line to take over as GM in Minnesota, but there’s no indication that Bill Smith is truly on the hot seat yet. As for the Orioles, the list of candidates who’re interested in the job and allowed to interview by their current employer is rapidly shrinking to one name: You guessed it, Frank Stallone.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 11
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 212
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (212)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (139)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)