Twins deny Orioles permission to interview Mike Radcliff

Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

226ASP6179944780

None of their top candidates want the job and now the Orioles aren’t being allowed to pursue one of their fallback choices, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Twins denied them permission to interview Mike Radcliff.

Radcliff has been with the Twins for 25 years as their longtime scouting director and current vice president of player personnel.

On my Twins-centric podcast earlier this week I wondered why Radcliff has rarely been linked to general manager openings in the past despite the Twins’ decade-long run of success for which he’s always given tons of credit.

My assumption upon hearing that the Orioles were interested in Radcliff was that the Twins would let him pursue the job, so their denial is certainly surprising. Or maybe Radcliff just had no interest in the gig and asked the Twins to deny permission.

If the Twins have another poor year Radcliff could be next line to take over as GM in Minnesota, but there’s no indication that Bill Smith is truly on the hot seat yet. As for the Orioles, the list of candidates who’re interested in the job and allowed to interview by their current employer is rapidly shrinking to one name: You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

1. bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Personally I think they are better off with Charlie Murphy or Jim Belushi.

2. bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

It may be time for the Orioles to dip into the Ripken dynasty to rescue them . . . Billy Ripken.

3. jwbiii - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Do you think the Twins would really deny Radcliffe an opportunity to interview? I think it went down more like this:

“Hey, Mike! The Orioles want to interview you.”
    “****, Bill, I don’t want want to work for that **********. But if I pass, that might hurt my chances of getting a call if a job that I want becomes available.”
    “Well, I could just tell them no.”
    “Please and thank you, Bill.”

4. tomtravis76 - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM

If you’re Bud Selig and watching this take place, with nobody wanting to work for the Orioles, don’t you think it is time to step in and “in the best interest of the game”, force the sale of the Orioles? Baseball has sat back and watched Peter Angelos ownership reign bury a once proud model franchise in MLB. In 20 years of ownership, you have 3 winning seasons. He has destroyed the Baltimore Orioles. Bud Selig needs to step in and get Angelos out of Baeball.

Occupy Camden Yards and get Angelos out!

• stinkfist5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Selig is buddies with Angelos. Like one step below bff. I wish, but I doubt it.

• bigleagues - Nov 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM

TomTravis:

If the Commissioner wanted to force the sale of the Orioles, he certainly has the power to do so, but something tells me that MLB knows which lines to cross and which to stay behind when it comes to Angelos and the Orioles. Peter Angelos will be selling when Peter Angelos wants to sell.

That said, how is it the same Commissioner who gave baseball the likes Peter Angelos and Frank McCourt – is so opposed to Mark Cuban as an owner?!

The CEO (also serving as Commissioner) and probably key MLB owners – seemingly would prefer to NOT have a dynamic innovative owner, who has had proven success in another major sport, among them.

• tomtravis76 - Nov 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I know it won’t happen, but some kind of ownership review board being set would be great, so owners can’t use the fans love for sports and the teams they have grown up with for their own personal gain while doing nothing to improve a team year in and year out. Owners just hold the keys to the team for awhile, the teams and their history belong to each city.

Angelos has done alot of great things that go unreported in the city of Baltimore, but as an owner of a professional sports team he has been one of the worst. He has made alot of money for himself, but has brought down the Orioles name in doing so.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Ten bucks says the Twins blocked Mike so he didn’t have to reject them himself, and be the third exec this past week to do so.

6. barklikeadog - Nov 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Another one bites the dust in b-more. What a sh*t hole!

7. greatminnesotasportsmind - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I’d rather have Radcliff run the Twins than Bill Smith. I hope this means Billy is gone.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3959)