Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
None of their top candidates want the job and now the Orioles aren’t being allowed to pursue one of their fallback choices, as Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that the Twins denied them permission to interview Mike Radcliff.
Radcliff has been with the Twins for 25 years as their longtime scouting director and current vice president of player personnel.
On my Twins-centric podcast earlier this week I wondered why Radcliff has rarely been linked to general manager openings in the past despite the Twins’ decade-long run of success for which he’s always given tons of credit.
My assumption upon hearing that the Orioles were interested in Radcliff was that the Twins would let him pursue the job, so their denial is certainly surprising. Or maybe Radcliff just had no interest in the gig and asked the Twins to deny permission.
If the Twins have another poor year Radcliff could be next line to take over as GM in Minnesota, but there’s no indication that Bill Smith is truly on the hot seat yet. As for the Orioles, the list of candidates who’re interested in the job and allowed to interview by their current employer is rapidly shrinking to one name: You guessed it, Frank Stallone.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)