Nov 4, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Friend of HBT Nick Collias just translated and relayed to me several Spanish language reports that have former Tampa Bay Ray Willy Aybar continuing to be a total scumbag.
He has been arrested multiple times for beating his wife — one time putting her into intensive care, but apparently he hasn’t learned anything from it. Now, according to Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter for the AP and ESPN Deportes, Aybar has been arrested for (a) beating to his girlfriend; and then (b) going to a strip club and not paying his bill; and then (c) resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.
Aybar had been playing for the Licey Tigers in the Dominican Winter League. Licey has suspended him indefinitely.
What a frickin’ gentleman.
UPDATE: Here’s a quote about the situation from Fernando Ravelo, the general manager of the Licey Tigers:
“There had been psychologists working with Willy. We did everything that could be done. A few days ago he abandoned the program, and look what happened.”
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)