Nov 4, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Friend of HBT Nick Collias just translated and relayed to me several Spanish language reports that have former Tampa Bay Ray Willy Aybar continuing to be a total scumbag.
He has been arrested multiple times for beating his wife — one time putting her into intensive care, but apparently he hasn’t learned anything from it. Now, according to Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter for the AP and ESPN Deportes, Aybar has been arrested for (a) beating to his girlfriend; and then (b) going to a strip club and not paying his bill; and then (c) resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.
Aybar had been playing for the Licey Tigers in the Dominican Winter League. Licey has suspended him indefinitely.
What a frickin’ gentleman.
UPDATE: Here’s a quote about the situation from Fernando Ravelo, the general manager of the Licey Tigers:
“There had been psychologists working with Willy. We did everything that could be done. A few days ago he abandoned the program, and look what happened.”
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)