Nov 4, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT
Friend of HBT Nick Collias just translated and relayed to me several Spanish language reports that have former Tampa Bay Ray Willy Aybar continuing to be a total scumbag.
He has been arrested multiple times for beating his wife — one time putting her into intensive care, but apparently he hasn’t learned anything from it. Now, according to Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter for the AP and ESPN Deportes, Aybar has been arrested for (a) beating to his girlfriend; and then (b) going to a strip club and not paying his bill; and then (c) resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.
Aybar had been playing for the Licey Tigers in the Dominican Winter League. Licey has suspended him indefinitely.
What a frickin’ gentleman.
UPDATE: Here’s a quote about the situation from Fernando Ravelo, the general manager of the Licey Tigers:
“There had been psychologists working with Willy. We did everything that could be done. A few days ago he abandoned the program, and look what happened.”
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)