Willy Aybar continues to be an awful human being

Nov 4, 2011, 7:54 PM EDT

Rays' Aybar drives in the game-winning run against the Angels during their MLB American League baseball game in St. Petersburg

Friend of HBT Nick Collias just translated and relayed to me several Spanish language reports that have former Tampa Bay Ray Willy Aybar continuing to be a total scumbag.

He has been arrested multiple times for beating his wife — one time putting her into intensive care, but apparently he hasn’t learned anything from it. Now, according to Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter for the AP and ESPN Deportes, Aybar has been arrested for (a) beating to his girlfriend; and then (b) going to a strip club and not paying his bill; and then (c) resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

Aybar had been playing for the Licey Tigers in the Dominican Winter League. Licey has suspended him indefinitely.

What a frickin’ gentleman.

UPDATE:   Here’s a quote about the situation from Fernando Ravelo, the general manager of the Licey Tigers:

“There had been psychologists working with Willy. We did everything that could be done. A few days ago he abandoned the program, and look what happened.”

Indeed.

1. Kyle - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

This is two Calcaterra posts in a row that have damaged my already tenuous faith in humanity. There’s really no choice but to crack another beer and stop reading the internet for a while.

• Old Gator - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Sure there is. Crack several, with an aged single malt scotch chaser. Why let an asshole like that push you off the net?

• Kyle - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Wise words. A little perseverance plus college basketball and the evening was salvaged!

2. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM

What a piece of human s***. Back in my army days me and my battle buddies would have beat hell out of him, tied his hands and feet together and tossed him in the river. Women beating asswipes deserve no better. He reminds me of that former Phillies player that smacked his wife around but worse.

• Old Gator - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Why not just let Michael Vick have him?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Why does every comment of yours have to mention something about Philadelphia? Give it a fucking rest. Agreed about the women beating thing though. Shouldn’t be tolerated.

• Alex K - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Seems like he just forgot Brett Meyer’s name. I don’t think this had anything to do with Philly, in general.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

It’s not just this post…his other posts as well. It gets old.

• stephenpaulfreese - Nov 5, 2011 at 5:13 AM

He needs to be blacklisted for the rest of his career from the American Baseball scene. If the baseball Comish acted like the NFL Comish, he would never grace one of our stadiums again…

3. aaronzona2011 - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM

i support chemical castration of this guy so he can’t reproduce

4. halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM

And there are some that want more players from the Dominican Republic to come and play in the U.S.? Different culture. Are you kidding me?

• cowboysoldiertx - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Might be hope for you yet, son.

• nixonotis - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I hope you’re not saying what I think you’re saying. Aybar didn’t beat the hell out of his wife or his girlfriend because he’s Dominican, he did it because he’s an utter piece of shit. And you? You just might be a racist, congrats.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I stand by my comment. Don’t make this a race issue. It part of their culture in the Dominican. They treat their women like crap, just like many other countries. Stop trying to start something that’s not there, nixonotis (which you have a propensity to do). My comment is not base on race. It’s based on the country’s culture. Many of these countries don’t share the same values as the U.S.

See Latin America, China and the Middle East for cultural differences and get back to me. They have been nailed time and time again by the UN and other organizations for human rights violations.

• Ari Collins - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Just because it’s about a country and not a skin color doesn’t mean it’s not racist. It’s an absurd generalization about a people.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:52 PM

“Just because it’s about a country and not a skin color doesn’t mean it’s not racist.”

Right. Race now applies to a country. Call a country’s behavior unacceptable, now that’s racist. Every country is equal (we are one global family that share the same values). Why, when the US fought the Japanese in WW2, we must have been racists. Or when we fought wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq, it must have been that we were racists.

Damn, if you disagree with this comment, it must be racist.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Good Night, liberals. It was a great discussion. This “racist” needs some sleep.

• ebbycalvin - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM

no, what’s racist is going to war with the Japanese in WWII, interning over 100,000 Japanese-Americans, and initially barring them from fighting for the country in which they were born and raised while never considering doing the same to German-Americans or Italian-Americans because they’re not easily identifiable.

• Ari Collins - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM

biceps, what you’re doing is not “calling a country’s behavior unacceptable”. What you’re doing is wildly distorting one member of that country’s behavior until it becomes a generalized behavior by members of that country, and then calling this fictional general behavior unacceptable.

• skids003 - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM

ebbycalvin, you must be joking.. They committed a sneak attack on us at Pearl Harbor, killing 3000 Americans, then declared war on us. How the hell do you figure racism in that. That’s about the stupidest charge of racism I’ve read in awhile.

• Reflex - Nov 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Which of the interred Japanese-Americans during WW2 were involved in attacking Pearl Harbor, declaring war or killing 3000 Americans? Furthermore, why was it fair to detain them, but not do the same to Italian-Americans or German-Americans at the same time, at least if we are going to pretend it was reasonable and not racist?

• zakharovsa - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:16 PM

My, that’s racist.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM

See my comment above. Why is everything that has to do with a negative comment about a foreign country racist? Unbelievable. I guess the UN calling out countries on human rights violations based upon culture is racist too.

• Ari Collins - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM

They don’t call countries out on human rights violations based on culture. They call countries out on human rights violations based on human rights violations.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Culture=country. You knew what I was referring to, Ari.

• cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM

‘ceps; you might want to re-think that statement there. Aybar’s a headcase and scumbag. His nationality has nothing to do with it. He happens to be the same nationality as Albert Pujols, who is by all reports a kind and decent person.

Oh, and FYI: anytime you find yourself in agreement with Mr. “c’boysoldier” there you probably have the crap coated end of the stick. Check out his comments on the Mets’ lawsuit post. Yeah, that’s the guy who just approved of what you wrote. A common troll.

I realize you want Americans in baseball before any others, but this post is hardly the venue to push that agenda.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM

The Dominican Republic is a second-rate nation. Poverty and opinion there has bread asswipe opinions of women and such. This is their culture, like the Middle-East’s views on women is well documented. They have been called out by human rights groups. That’s the bottom line.

• cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM

re. Human Rights: See Ari’s comments above. That’s pretty much it really.

Branding all men from the Dominican as wife beaters or abusive and undeserving en mass of being in the Major Leagues of baseball = the same mentality as branding all people from Philadelphia as ignorant barfing a-holes and undeserving of a major league franchise. Both types of behaviours are well documented in the media. Both are entrenched as a part of public perception and I’m sure our friend “c’boy” would agree with both statements. But neither opinion deserves wholesale support in spite of evidence that some individuals from those places are indeed idiots.

You can neither condemn all men from the Domincan nor all people from Philadelphia based on the actions of a few who’s actions put them in the news.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM

cur68,

See below. I just provided facts with a link. I’m not making this stuff up. The Dominican Republic have the largest rate of abuse/killing of women in the western hemisphere. This is FACT.

• hittfamily - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM

The greatest thing about this country is the blending of cultures. I’m not talking about food or music, but rather the blending out of our perceived ideals, and judging our neighbors ideals, and through society, adjusting our cultural norms. When I lived in Scottland, the redheads were hated. They were refered to as “gingers”. I was disgusted. It doesn’t happen in this country. When my brother lived in China, he said they had no respect for their surroundings or others property. They would spit indoors, and actually felt like swindling someone was legitimate business. People from Taiwan hate the chinese for this.

When we isolate ourselves with only like thinkers, as almost every other country in world do, we can’t have the introspective to look at our behaviors and realize they are wrong. The Northern Irish Catholics and Protestants terrorized each other with public bombs for decades. It all ended on September 11 when they realized how despicable their actions were. There are problems with every culture, but when we blend them, we can eliminate bad traditions within them, like arranged marriages, slavery, circumcision, public spanking, abuse of women etc etc.

Lay off Ceps. Cultures have flaws, and many times, cultures are relegated to regions, and many times, races are relegated to regions. It is politically correct to say “that culture is flawed”, but saying that country, that race, that religion, is usually factually correct as well, just with far less tact.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Well said, hittfamily. I appreciate it. Those words are very true. Country, culture and race should never be interchangeable. That’s why the United States is the greatest county in the world. We, in this country, don’t differentiate between them. We have laws that protect all.

But, there are some piss ant countries that are notorious for it and cited accordingly. Most people with balls call them out, like humane organizations and the UN.

At some point, a people/culture has to be held responsible for the government that they put in power to make the decisions/laws.

• Mark - Nov 5, 2011 at 7:59 AM

You want to be technical? You’re not a racist, you’re just an ignorant douchebag.

• indaburg - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM

‘cepts, I am born of Dominican parents. I have been to the country many times. You are completely off base. I don’t think you’re necessarily a racist, but I do think you are completely ignorant and your reasoning is faulty at best Wife beating is not a part of the culture in the Dominican Republic. “Machismo”, an attitude in which the man believes he is the head of the household, is a part of the culture, however, beating your wife into the intensive care unit is definitely not. Using Aybar as representative of an entire culture would be as entirely unfair and stupid as judging all white people by Brett Myers’ actions, or all blacks by OJ Simpson’s.

Sadly, hundreds of thousands of Americans also commit domestic abuse. I have personally volunteered at domestic abuse shelters here in the good ole USA, and as a nurse in the ER, I have also treated many women from all sorts of cultures, including white folks, who have been physically abused by their significant others. Domestic abuse happens in every culture on this planet, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, and gender. Frankly, when one is ignorant about a topic, such as yourself on domestic abuse, the best thing to do is shut up.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I respect your opinion, bey here are the facts: See link http://www.cidh.org/countryrep/DominicanRep99/Chapter10.htm

Dominic Republic has the highest rate of femicides (the killing of a woman) in the Western Hemisphere. Each year, 22 of every 1,000 women are found dead, and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights reports that 80 percent of these murders are committed by men who either are related to or romantically involved with the victims.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:04 AM

“Frankly, when one is ignorant about a topic, such as yourself on domestic abuse, the best thing to do is shut up.”

Yeah, when I provide the facts that the D.R. is the most violent county by far against women, you choose not to respond. Yeah, I should shut up.

I’ll ask you a question. If it’s not wife beating, what is it? Just beating on women is apart of the culture?

5. hittfamily - Nov 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM

First off, the way I heard it, the bitch had it coming. Secondly, everybody knows strip clubs are cash on the spot. You can’t run a tab on lapdances. Lastly, I’m not going to a latin American jails without a fight either.

• nixonotis - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

You’ll fit in just fine with the rest of the trolls.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Dude, where I don’t agree with hittfamily’s comment, you are the fucking troll. You are my personal troll that try to bait. I put a comment out there and you want to call me a racist. Fuck you, buddy. You need to be held accountable for that comment to the whole forum of HBT. As a matter of fact, you should be banned for that bullshit.

• nixonotis - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I am your personal troll that tries to bait you, yet you say “fuck you” to me on a completely unrelated post where a commenter stated that a women who was put in the ICU by her husband “had it coming?” Do you think before you post? My god, you’re unbearable.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

No, you’re unbearable! I have talked baseball jovially all day on this site, and here you come as usually to throw your crap at me (this time calling me a racist). Get a life and leave me alone, asshole. There are no rules for profanity on this site, so I will continue to call you an asshole until either you stop giving me shit or until I am, as well as everyone else on this site, are told that profanity is banned.

• hittfamily - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Nixonitis.

Who the hell are you? On your first thread, you start calling people trolls? I was only joking. If a post is so far over the top, maybe (probably or definately), it is sarcasm. For those of you familiar with sarcasm and satire, Willy Aybar was not in the wrong, and we should deal with the homeless children and starving poor problems, by eating the children.

Dude. I have never seen you post here before. Get a week in before you start namecalling.

• cur68 - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM

hitt; nixon’s been round a long time & seems a pretty good person based on my long standing interactions with him on HBT. Also, I think you can appreciate that sarcasm & humor can be hard to detect on the net. Looking at your post I’d say a lot of people didn’t care for what you put out there, not just nixon. I dare say a goodly portion of them failed to see the humor, too. You are not the first person to have a jest taken seriously and you wont be the last around here. Oh, & for the record, I also didn’t think what you said in your comment was at all appropriate, jest or otherwise and, while I can appreciate that not everyone shares my sense of humor, I do think some things are best left unexpressed, even in jest.

• hittfamily - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM

You didn’t find my comment appropriate? Why? Because she keeps returning over and over to the scum of the earth? I feel bad for Manny Ramirez’ wife. Willy Aybar’s wife gets very little sympathy from me. It is terrible that she was beaten to the point of near death, but she didn’t have to be. He has been arrested numerous times for the same thing. I save my sympathy for those who don’t control their own destiny. Brian Stowe, Manny’s wife, Roberto Clemente: Victims. OJ’s next wife, Phil Spector’s next hooker, Willy Aybar’s wife…..enablers

• cur68 - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM

hitt; victim blaming now, is it? You know Mrs. Aybar and her situation well enough to make that call do you? Your level of ignorance is beyond belief. I’m done with you.

• hittfamily - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM

You are done with me?

No please. Come back. I swear it won’t happen again.

Wait, let me get this straight. You are done with me, because I criticized her for not being done with him? Ladies and gentleman, I am proud to introduce the new teen sensation “Hypocrisy”

Dude. WTF are you talking about? I didn’t blame her for getting beaten, but I do blame her for being in the situation to get beaten. It is not her fault for being beaten, but it is her fault for not pressing charges and leaving after the previous multiple occurances. She has been beaten multiple times by this man. The first time he hit her should have been the last. She refused help that that the police offered, and she refuses to help herself.

I have often felt your posts to be very smug and preachy and I am grateful that I finally get to tell you. Feel free not to respond to any more of my posts with that sanctimonious b.s. that you are selling by putting words in my mouth.

• nixonotis - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:49 AM

hittfamily, if you knew anything about the victims of domestic abuse, continuing a relationship with the perpetrator is not at all uncommon. It is this fact that makes it so difficult to eradicate such a heinous situation in the first place. Sorry that I missed the satirical aspect of your post, but I, personally, don’t find domestic abuse all that funny. Many of us have had firsthand experience with it and it is not humor, but a solution we seek. Thanks for “welcoming” me to HBT, though.

• hittfamily - Nov 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM

“Thanks for welcoming me to the HBT community”

Funny, because I was thinking the same thing about you. Your first comment to me was calling me a troll.

I wasn’t joking about his wife being beaten, I sarcastically justified everything that he did. I made a comment to break the mood, which seemed to be a little angry. My comment was misinterpreted, and definately miscommunicated on my part. However, your comment was loud and clear. You wanted to name call someone, so you did.

I am well aware of abusive relationships. My wife grew up in one, and moved in with me while still in highschool. I was a year older. She escaped. Some children don’t.

As far as wives of abusers who have children, and stay in a toxic relationship risking themselves and their children, I feel very little sorrow. We overcame it, and others have the opportunity to do so as well. I feel bad for women who stay in abusive relationships when they have options. It would be inhumane to not feel bad for her. However, like I said before, I save my sympathy for those who can’t control their destiny, actual victims, not the one’s who can.

6. pisano - Nov 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

It sounds like he grew up with Milton Bradley and Carl Everett.

7. halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Guys, I thought about this whole thing in a clearer prospective and here is my solution. If you are a foreign MLB player that is playing here in the states on a visa, and are charged with ANY crime (including violence, identity deceit, etc.), in any country, you forfeit the opportunity to either work as a baseball player here or enter the U.S. for the rest of your life. That seems fair, doesn’t it? Seems like a good deterrent to me.

It’s a privilege for these foreign players to be here, not a right.

• cur68 - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Now that’s a relatively reasonable statement, but it does open the door for domestic born players who do the same things to be banned from playing as well (considering what some of them have done, I wouldn’t mind in the least). Whatever the case, Aybar’s not actually playing in MLB anymore; he was turfed for his violent behaviour and being an all ’round douche. You got your wish already. MLB doesn’t care for guys like Aybar any more than you do.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Domestic players are U.S. citizens. So, they aren’t foreign. It doesn’t apply.

See my post above that states that the Dominican Republic is the most violent against women in the western hemisphere and disagree.

• cur68 - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:16 AM

No dude, out of baseball not the country.

Look I have no stamina for this stuff. I’ve lived on the other side of comments like the one you led off with and I’ve dealt with victims of violence. Many of those victims were wives & children of the abuser. I’m tired of it all, and I’m tired of this ‘easy way out’ argument. It simply isn’t easy, nor is it my job to go around changing the minds of people who take the easy way out. Good night.

• sknut - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM

‘biceps my wife was beaten by her ex (both white) are American’s pieces of shit as well then. I am not saying your racist, but generalizations like that are unfair to a lot of people.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I’m sorry for your trauma. I’m not making general statements. See my comment above @ 10:30 with facts about the violence of the Dominican Republic towards women. Please read this and tell me if I’m far off base.

8. sknut - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM

@Biceps

Thank you. I appreciate you getting facts, I guess what I am saying that even though there is a disturbing trend of killing women its a big leap to suggest that its wrong for Domician ball players to come to the US. Let me put it a differnt way, maybe some of these guys play ball because its a way to improve their lives and their families lives and they can escape what problems are around them.

To put it simply I don’t view those from Latin America, China or the Middle East and automatically assume they are part of whatever problem aills their culture. I would also not pretend to understand their culture to make these observations. And we can agree that there are certain human behaviors that are disgusting no matter where they take place.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I agree with everything you have said. All I am stating is that I have noticed a trend throughout the years that different cultures from different countries put different values on women. I’m 41 years old. I have been around the block a few times. When I see report after report of athletes from a certain countries that commit this crap against women, it angers me. That’s all I’m saying. Then, I get a numbskull above that calls me a racist. I get fired up. That was uncalled for.

• hittfamily - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I’m with you ceps. When I hear of a terrorist attack, I automatically think of 1 specific culture. I am well aware of Christian terrorists. Abortion clinic bombers, The Hutaree (christian militia up north somewhere {Minnestota maybe}), Northern Ireland, Timothy McVeigh. I still picture a Muslim, because it happens far more frequently in that culture. Looking at facts, I can say it is far more likely a terrorist is a muslim than an Atheist. Looking at the facts you provided, I can say it is far more likely a woman will be attacked by a latin American than an American.

I think those screaming racism rather than discussing should avoid discussion boards.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM

hittfamily,

I gave you a response above. I agree with you. No one wants to discuss anything. They are so regimented in saying what is politically correct, no one has the balls to say what they feel. It’s a fact that we need to stop doing business with countries (including baseball and athletics in general) that don’t hold our same values. This global moral system is flawed because you can’t hold other countries responsible for their norms.

Look, I provided facts about violence above against women in the Dominican Rep. and am still getting thumbed down. Where is this education coming from? Who is teaching the American kids these days to accept this global ideology and that America is not exceptional?

• hittfamily - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

You hit the nail on the head. By doing business with them, we are offering acceptance. Willy Aybar should be in jail for attempted murder, not getting hummers in titty bars.

I work for the Florida Fish and Wildlife conservation Commission. We have a Vietnamese problem. There are quite a few shrimpboat captains and deck hands in the gulf region that have immagrated from Vietnam. They ignore our regulations far more than anyone else. The nets that the trawlers tow have “escape holes”, which allow large objects to exit the nets. The large objects are dolfins and turtles. They will sew up the holes, because it lets a few extra shrimp out.

South America, Vietnam, and other asian countries import a lot of seafood to Florida, mostly farm raised, but some is wild caught. If they want to import to our state, they have to follow our rules and regulations in their country. We insure the safety of the food, the safety of the workers, and the safety of ocean. We dictate how much they can catch, where the farms are, the condition of the farms, and what the workers are payed. It is done for safety, but also, because our fisherman can’t keep up if they have regualtions to follow, but their competition doesn’t. It is a policy that should be utilized throughout all our industries, from manufacturing, oil production, clothing, furniture, food etc. Lets see how many more businesses survive in this country when their competition’s imports have to be made as cleanly as our products, sustainably as our products, and when their workers have the same safety laws and can’t be paid 5 dollars a day.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:53 AM

I agree with you again, hittfamily. I know we are way off topic, but you are right with your sanitation analogy. I want these foreign players to be held at a higher standard. Damn, someone suggested that our own citizens should be held to the same standard. Nonsense. We can’t kick our own citizens out of the country if they commit a crime. But what we can do is if you are a foreign athlete that commits a crime, your services are done in the US for life.

Like I said, I’m sick of hearing about the “Willy Aybar’s” of the world. Enough is enough. I know he isn’t playing currently in MLB, but he should never have the opportunity to do so again. Send a message.

• hittfamily - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Without knowing our immigration policy, I would imagine we already have some standard towards previous crime. I think your view is a little extreme though. I am fine with denying visas to some felons, but not all crimes should be viewed at extremes. If they are paying our taxes, they should be afforded our same rights, citizen or not. Getting caught with a joint should not be punishible by banishment. However, being a drug mule should be, and I imagine it is.

Russell Crowe is welcome to spend his money in this country, even though he threw a cell phone at a bellhop (or was that Naomi Campbell? Her money is good here too though). Latin Americans are more likely to beat their wives than Americans: True. However it is still a very rare occurance. Heinous crimes should be viewed differently than minor offenses when talking about deporting people legally here.

9. Jonny 5 - Nov 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Well alrighty then……

10. halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Here’s another thing that pisses me off about these Latin American ballplayers. I am so sick and tired of hearing not only the abuse stories (wife beatings, setting help on fire – see Ugueth Urbina), but the fraudulent crap that goes on as well. The unknown insofar as how OLD these players are. Not knowing their real names. This is the shit I’m tired of as well.

Do all of us a favor as AMERICAN baseball fans (notice I put America in caps, just to remind you where most of you are from). Either clean up the international baseball crap or don’t allow the foreigners here. It’s pretty simple. We are tired of this nonsense.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM

And this does not apply to Canada, the continents of Europe and Australia. Do you want to know why? Because those countries document their people properly AND share our mutual CULTURE. They also share our respect for the law.

• Reflex - Nov 5, 2011 at 5:41 AM

I, and most other fans I’d wager, don’t really give a damn where the players are from, what their culture is like, or anything else. We just want to see the best possible baseball game we can see. That can only occur when the best players in the world are playing.

Rant on and on all you want. But your opinion is not the majority. Which is good, a huge percentage of the major stars the last few decades have been foreign and I’d be pretty bored if they weren’t here.

11. Old Gator - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Somebody pass the popcorn?

12. stephenpaulfreese - Nov 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM

I hate to agree with the “so-called racists” here (which by the way is a term used so recklessly now has lost its meaning and demeans the folks who are victims thereof) but here in the Middle East where I have been the majority of the last eight years and in the majority of the countries here, the mistreatment of women here is a known fact. So, now all of the good liberals and progressives can now say I am a bigot towards Muslims now. But it is a fact!!!

• JBerardi - Nov 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The majority of the world’s Muslims don’t even live in the middle east.

Generalizations. Confirmation Bias. Bigotry.

• Reflex - Nov 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Yeah, furthermore most of the terrorist groups are political, not religious, and as often led by Christians as Jews or Muslims. Look up George Habash, the founder of half of the groups that later became the PLO. Greek Orthodox Christian, and strong opponent of Israel.

13. bigmeechy74 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM

i kinda like him

14. stercuilus65 - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:32 AM

So he was arrested for “beating to his girlfriend”?

Hmmm, you think she would be flattered…

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate