Nov 5, 2011, 10:03 PM EST
Free agent right-hander Ryan Madson registered an impressive 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio across 60 2/3 innings this season for the NL East champion Phillies, collecting 32 saves in 34 opportunities.
He’ll be looking to cash in this winter as the most dominant reliever on the market. And it sure sounds like his suitors have already begun lining up.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, agent Scott Boras said Saturday that Madson is “receiving a lot of interest, including from a couple of teams we didn’t know we’re looking for a closer.”
Ignoring the fact that Boras sounds like a broken record with his whole “a lot of interest” shtick, it’s safe to wonder whether the 31-year-old Madson might be able to fetch a three-year deal this offseason worth close to $10 million annually.
Most teams would consider that too pretty of a penny for any relief pitcher, no matter how reliable. But keep in mind that the Yankees gave Rafael Soriano a three-year, $35 million contract just 10 months ago.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)