Nov 5, 2011, 4:41 PM EST
Sorry to ruin your evening plans, everyone, but Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News is reporting that Lenny Dykstra has backed out of tonight’s celebrity boxing match with Jose Canseco.
We learned earlier this week that Dykstra would participate in the event after White House party crasher Tareq Salahi ducked out.
No word on the reason for the change of plans on Dykstra’s part, but Howard Eskin speculated earlier this afternoon that it could have to do with injury or his failure to get out of house arrest. Sadness piled upon sadness.
Of course, Jose allegedly sent his brother Ozzie to fight in his place at a celebrity boxing event earlier this summer in Florida, so there’s a chance Dykstra wouldn’t have fought the right Canseco even if he was able to show up.
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants concussions to remain part of the game 0
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 13
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 24
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 28
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 64
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)