Nov 5, 2011, 1:34 PM EST
After being turned down by multiple candidates, the Orioles may have finally found someone willing to head their front office.
According to Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com, the Orioles are close to naming former Expos and Red Sox GM Dan Duquette as their new general manager.
Duquette interviewed for the job yesterday and is reportedly traveling back to Baltimore today in order to finalize a contract.
The Orioles offered the job to Blue Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava earlier this week, but he opted to stay in Toronto. Jerry Dipoto, DeJon Watson and Allard Baird also spurned the O’s interest.
Duquette, now 53, hasn’t worked in MLB since he was fired by the Red Sox back way back in March of 2002, but interviewed for the Angels’ GM vacancy last month and is obviously itching to get back into the game. While he wasn’t the Orioles’ first choice, he has a solid background in scouting and player development, something the team was reportedly aiming for at the beginning of their search.
My only question is, would he bring Pedro Martinez with him again? Because that would be sweet.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)