Nov 5, 2011, 1:34 PM EST
After being turned down by multiple candidates, the Orioles may have finally found someone willing to head their front office.
According to Tim Kurkjian of ESPN.com, the Orioles are close to naming former Expos and Red Sox GM Dan Duquette as their new general manager.
Duquette interviewed for the job yesterday and is reportedly traveling back to Baltimore today in order to finalize a contract.
The Orioles offered the job to Blue Jays assistant general manager Tony LaCava earlier this week, but he opted to stay in Toronto. Jerry Dipoto, DeJon Watson and Allard Baird also spurned the O’s interest.
Duquette, now 53, hasn’t worked in MLB since he was fired by the Red Sox back way back in March of 2002, but interviewed for the Angels’ GM vacancy last month and is obviously itching to get back into the game. While he wasn’t the Orioles’ first choice, he has a solid background in scouting and player development, something the team was reportedly aiming for at the beginning of their search.
My only question is, would he bring Pedro Martinez with him again? Because that would be sweet.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)