Nov 5, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
After posting a 3.07 ERA and 205 strikeouts over 193 1/3 innings in 2010, Sanchez regressed to the tune of a 4.26 ERA this season. The 28-year-old southpaw struggled mightily with his command, averaging 5.86 BB/9, and didn’t throw another pitch after spraining his left ankle in mid-August. He also missed more than a month during the season with left biceps tendinitis.
The Giants are currently trying to clear payroll space in order to add some punch offensively via free agency, so parting with Sanchez makes plenty of sense on paper. Still, one wonders what the market will be for someone who is coming off a down year and figures to make as much as $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)