Nov 5, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
After posting a 3.07 ERA and 205 strikeouts over 193 1/3 innings in 2010, Sanchez regressed to the tune of a 4.26 ERA this season. The 28-year-old southpaw struggled mightily with his command, averaging 5.86 BB/9, and didn’t throw another pitch after spraining his left ankle in mid-August. He also missed more than a month during the season with left biceps tendinitis.
The Giants are currently trying to clear payroll space in order to add some punch offensively via free agency, so parting with Sanchez makes plenty of sense on paper. Still, one wonders what the market will be for someone who is coming off a down year and figures to make as much as $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)