Nov 5, 2011, 12:30 PM EST
After posting a 3.07 ERA and 205 strikeouts over 193 1/3 innings in 2010, Sanchez regressed to the tune of a 4.26 ERA this season. The 28-year-old southpaw struggled mightily with his command, averaging 5.86 BB/9, and didn’t throw another pitch after spraining his left ankle in mid-August. He also missed more than a month during the season with left biceps tendinitis.
The Giants are currently trying to clear payroll space in order to add some punch offensively via free agency, so parting with Sanchez makes plenty of sense on paper. Still, one wonders what the market will be for someone who is coming off a down year and figures to make as much as $6 million in his final year of arbitration.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)