Nov 6, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
“We will listen on [David] Wright for sure,” a Mets official told me during the week. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
The honesty is refreshing. And the quote is no joke. According to Sherman, the Mets have already begun “focusing upon” the Angels’ roster, which boasts two young center fielders in Peter Bourjos and Mike Trout.
Trout, with his rare combination of power and speed, is thought to be untouchable — even for a five-time All-Star like Wright. But Bourjos could be thrown into a package with a couple of young, cost-controlled pitchers. Sherman names Tyler Chatwood, Garrett Richards and John Hellweg as possibilities.
It’s not known if negotiations are taking place at the moment, but, as Sherman notes, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is “unafraid to make unpopular decisions” and has been given license to do so. If the Mets are actually going to rebuild correctly, stocking the roster with young talent is a correct first step. But if they’re open to shopping Wright, we can probably already rule them out of the Jose Reyes sweepstakes as well.
These next few seasons could be a little rough for fans of New York’s National League team.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)