Nov 6, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
“We will listen on [David] Wright for sure,” a Mets official told me during the week. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
The honesty is refreshing. And the quote is no joke. According to Sherman, the Mets have already begun “focusing upon” the Angels’ roster, which boasts two young center fielders in Peter Bourjos and Mike Trout.
Trout, with his rare combination of power and speed, is thought to be untouchable — even for a five-time All-Star like Wright. But Bourjos could be thrown into a package with a couple of young, cost-controlled pitchers. Sherman names Tyler Chatwood, Garrett Richards and John Hellweg as possibilities.
It’s not known if negotiations are taking place at the moment, but, as Sherman notes, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is “unafraid to make unpopular decisions” and has been given license to do so. If the Mets are actually going to rebuild correctly, stocking the roster with young talent is a correct first step. But if they’re open to shopping Wright, we can probably already rule them out of the Jose Reyes sweepstakes as well.
These next few seasons could be a little rough for fans of New York’s National League team.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)