Nov 6, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
“We will listen on [David] Wright for sure,” a Mets official told me during the week. “We know we are not going to win it all in 2012. We have to hope the Phillies get old and we are in position to take advantage of that in 2013-14, and we have to figure out ways to speed the process to get there.”
The honesty is refreshing. And the quote is no joke. According to Sherman, the Mets have already begun “focusing upon” the Angels’ roster, which boasts two young center fielders in Peter Bourjos and Mike Trout.
Trout, with his rare combination of power and speed, is thought to be untouchable — even for a five-time All-Star like Wright. But Bourjos could be thrown into a package with a couple of young, cost-controlled pitchers. Sherman names Tyler Chatwood, Garrett Richards and John Hellweg as possibilities.
It’s not known if negotiations are taking place at the moment, but, as Sherman notes, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is “unafraid to make unpopular decisions” and has been given license to do so. If the Mets are actually going to rebuild correctly, stocking the roster with young talent is a correct first step. But if they’re open to shopping Wright, we can probably already rule them out of the Jose Reyes sweepstakes as well.
These next few seasons could be a little rough for fans of New York’s National League team.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)