Nov 6, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin stole the show in Saturday night’s Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game, finishing 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and four RBI as the West beat the East 11-2.
The switch-hitting Franklin, considered a Top 50 prospect by most ranking services, also scored three runs. He homered in the first inning off the No. 1 overall pick from June’s first-year player draft, Gerrit Cole, then added doubles in the second and third. Franklin also singled in the fifth.
Cole, a hard-throwing righty now in the Pirates’ system, didn’t make it out of the first inning. He displayed elite velocity, hitting 99 mph at one point, but was charged with five runs on four hits and also walked a batter.
Nationals outfield prospect Bryce Harper went 0-for-2, Royals outfield prospect Wil Myers was 3-for-5 and Cubs infield prospect Junior Lake was 1-for-3 with two strikeouts. For more, check MiLB.com.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 21
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)