Nov 6, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin stole the show in Saturday night’s Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game, finishing 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and four RBI as the West beat the East 11-2.
The switch-hitting Franklin, considered a Top 50 prospect by most ranking services, also scored three runs. He homered in the first inning off the No. 1 overall pick from June’s first-year player draft, Gerrit Cole, then added doubles in the second and third. Franklin also singled in the fifth.
Cole, a hard-throwing righty now in the Pirates’ system, didn’t make it out of the first inning. He displayed elite velocity, hitting 99 mph at one point, but was charged with five runs on four hits and also walked a batter.
Nationals outfield prospect Bryce Harper went 0-for-2, Royals outfield prospect Wil Myers was 3-for-5 and Cubs infield prospect Junior Lake was 1-for-3 with two strikeouts. For more, check MiLB.com.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)