Nov 7, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Various reports have the Phillies strongly pursuing Cuddyer and Thome told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he tried to help the cause with his own recruiting pitch:
We’ve texted a little bit. We’ve talked. … Look, every player that sees the way the Phillies have done things over the last seven or eight years, they’ve set the bar very, very high. Guys around baseball would love to come here. When you win, you create a lot of good things.
Asked specifically if Cuddyer expressed interest in signing with the Phillies, he replied “I can’t answer that” and then added “I’m sure we’ll talk going forward.”
Cuddyer reportedly turned down a two-year, $16 million extension offer from the Twins in September and now seems likely to get at least twice that much money on the open market despite being a Type A free agent for whom teams would have to surrender a first-round draft pick to sign.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)