Nov 7, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Various reports have the Phillies strongly pursuing Cuddyer and Thome told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he tried to help the cause with his own recruiting pitch:
We’ve texted a little bit. We’ve talked. … Look, every player that sees the way the Phillies have done things over the last seven or eight years, they’ve set the bar very, very high. Guys around baseball would love to come here. When you win, you create a lot of good things.
Asked specifically if Cuddyer expressed interest in signing with the Phillies, he replied “I can’t answer that” and then added “I’m sure we’ll talk going forward.”
Cuddyer reportedly turned down a two-year, $16 million extension offer from the Twins in September and now seems likely to get at least twice that much money on the open market despite being a Type A free agent for whom teams would have to surrender a first-round draft pick to sign.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)