Nov 7, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
When Magglio Ordonez fractured his ankle for the second time there was speculation that he’d call it quits at age 37 and coming off the worst season of his career, but Carlos Guillen said yesterday that Ordonez plans to play in 2012.
Guillen, who like Ordonez is a free agent and won’t be re-signing with the Tigers, told Jason Beck of MLB.com that Ordonez “is doing better” and will soon start the rehab process in Florida.
Even without the fractured ankle further clouding his future Ordonez’s options figured to be limited after hitting just .255 with five homers and a .634 OPS in 92 games for the Tigers. He was very productive in 2010, but the first fractured ankle cut that season short after 82 games and at this point he clearly can’t be counted on to play the outfield regularly.
Will there be a job for Ordonez as a 38-year-old designated hitter? Probably, but it might take proving he’s healthy on a minor-league contract to get there. And oddly enough he might be fighting with Guillen for those limited opportunities.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)