Now Dykstra says he never agreed to fight Canseco

Nov 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Former Major League baseball player Lenny Dykstra appears in Los Angeles Superior Court for an arraignment in San Fernando, California Reuters

Because I know you’re worried about this, Len Dykstra denies the report that he “backed out” of that “celebrity” boxing match with Jose Canseco. He now says that he never agreed to fight the guy. From the Philadelphia Daily News:

“I never agreed to anything,” Dykstra told the Daily News in an e-mail. “Damon Feldman and Alki David continued to use my name to sell tickets and promote their event up until the last minute. They showed up at my door unexpected, I didn’t even know who they were.”

Except, as John Gonzalez of CSNPhilly.com points out, Dykstra made multiple tweets last week pumping up the fight.

But really, who ya gonna believe? Lenny Dykstra, or Lenny Dykstra? Because you know one of them is lying.

1. The Common Man - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Did Dykstra call Dykstra a liar? If so, them’s fightin’ words. I think the two may need to hash this out in the boxing ring.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Yeah, Dykstra thought he was going to fight himself in the ring, ala Jim Carrey in the movie “Liar, Liar”.

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM

WWTDD

2. bloodysock - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Dykstra just doesn’t remember agreeing to anything.

3. Gardenhire's Cat - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I love John’s finish . . . “Dykstra’s account was probably hacked. Or maybe he misquoted himself.”

4. sandpiperair - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

And he also added, “I KNEW Mike Scott was scuffing those balls!”

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:50 PM

“Lenny” didn’t agree, but maybe “Nails” did???

It’s hard to believe that Lenny once said “There’s some point in life when you have to grow up.”

6. thefalcon123 - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Regardless of his lying, refusing to degrade himself to the point of doing a celebrity boxing match shows Lenny Dykstra has more class and self-respect than Jose Canseco.

Think about that for a minute: There is a person in the world with less class than Lenny Dykstra!

• catsmeat - Nov 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I dunno. Lenny signed on to participate, told everyone about it, backed out, then lied about ever having signed on in the first place. Basically, he used the prospect of appearing in celebrity boxing as a means to publicity, I guess. That’s pretty low class.

It’s a pity that Lenny doesn’t have a twin brother he could have sent in his place, then we could have avoided all of this ugliness.

7. uyf1950 - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Dykstra’s been so honest with people that there is no reason to doubt his most recent comment. Yea, what a joke.

8. phukyouk - Nov 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM

“I never agreed to anything,”
    i think this was just a blanket statement for anything he is currently being criminally charged with.

9. geraldthecat - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I never agreed to care. Wow what a bunch of f@&k ups

Three legends off to Cooperstown