Nov 7, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Apparently Sandoval isn’t a done deal to play in the Venezuelan Winter League. At least not yet.
Via Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Sandoval tweeted following Bochy’s comments this afternoon, calling them “rumors” while saying that he won’t make up his mind until early December. Odd, but there you go.
(Thanks to Giants Nirvana for the link)
8:20 PM: Giants manager Bruce Bochy confirmed this afternoon that Pablo Sandoval has been granted permission to play 10 games in the Venezuelan Winter League next month, reports Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News. He’ll leave for his home country on December 10.
That he’ll participate is another good sign for the state of his strained left shoulder, which was an issue for him during the second half of the season. Sandoval took some swings in the cage from the right side of the plate during the recent “All-Star Series” in Taiwan and the Giants are confident he should be 100 percent by spring training.
The most pressing matter for Sandoval this offseason is, once again, his conditioning. While he appeared to gain most of the weight he lost last winter, he told Bochy in Taiwan that he hasn’t packed on any additional pounds since the end of the regular season and that he plans to report to spring training even lighter than he did last year.
“I respect and trust that Pablo will come in the same shape he did last year,” Bochy said.
Sandoval, 25, batted .315/.357/.552 with 23 home runs, 70 RBI and a .909 OPS over 466 plate appearances this season.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)