Nov 7, 2011, 10:20 PM EDT
Pagan, 30, regressed in a big way this season, batting just .262/.322/.372 with seven home runs, 56 RBI, 32 stolen bases and a .694 OPS over 532 plate appearances while leading major league center fielders with 10 errors. He is expected to make between $4-5 million in his final year of arbitration.
Of course, just because Heyman hears the Mets plan to tender Pagan a contract doesn’t mean that’s actually their intention. They could be leaking this information in an effort to increase leverage in trade talks. However, with no in-house replacement for center field and an underwhelming field of free agent alternatives (Coco Crisp, Rick Ankiel, David DeJesus and Cody Ross, just to name a few), they might be better served to take their chances on a bounceback season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (134)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)