Report: Phillies making “strong push” to re-sign Ryan Madson

Nov 7, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT

ryan-madson-phillies-nlcs Getty Images

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies are making a “strong push” to re-sign free agent closer Ryan Madson.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears similar information, citing one major league source who says the Phillies are working hard to keep Madson and possibly nearing an agreement.

As for Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, he’s predictably not tipping his hand.

“I do not characterize my negotiations,” Amaro said. “I need a closer. It’s no secret I need a closer.”

When asked whether he was talking to other high-profile closers like Heath Bell and Jonathan Papelbon, Amaro said, “I am talking to everyone.”

Meanwhile, Boras told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com that the two sides are still “exchanging proposals.” It’s believed that Madson could find a three or four-year deal in free agency.

Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this season. After struggling in the closer role in previous seasons, he went 32-for-34 in save opportunities in 2011.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

If Ryan Howard is on the 60-day DL, I’m under the impression that his salary doesn’t count against the luxury tax. And if they have insurance on his contract, then it won’t cost them anything if he doesn’t play (I have no idea if getting insurance for injuries is still something that’s done). If that’s the case, the Phillies can easily afford Madson, Rollins AND a short term contract elsewhere. If not, I think they have to choose between Madson and Rollins. This is more of a question than anything else.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM

It doesn’t matter whether or not Howard is on the DL. His salary will count towards the salary of this team. He could miss the whole year and it would still count toward their luxury tax. They need to lose Madson and use that money to improve the lineup and bench. Period.

• jeffhink - Nov 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM

In addition to what bicep’s said, Howard won’t be placed on the 60-day DL. The team is hopeful that he’ll be able to return within two months of the season opener. The 60-day is also only generally used when the team needs to put an additional player on the 40-man roster, which shouldn’t be necessary in April.

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 8, 2011 at 7:49 AM

If they’re hoping he’s only out two months, why wouldn’t they put him on the 60-day DL? Is there a downside to it?

Every link I find about the luxury tax is telling me that the player has to be on the 40 man roster to count against the “competitive balance tax” I just can’t find a link to the real MLB rule about it. I also don’t know if guys on the 60-day DL are technically a part of the 40 man roster anyway.

• mox19380 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I believe you’re both right. Regardless of Howard’s status the Phillies will have to pay his salary. that’s just how baseball contracts work. Aside from retirement or unmitigated circumstances (like when Urbina killed that guy) teams pay the player. But if he is on the DL to start the season I’m fairly certain his contract won’t count towards the luxury tax which just means the phillies could pay him with paying for it in terms of baseball penalizing them for being above the luxury tax threshold.

At least that’s what I took from reading up on it. Baseball rules are stupidly complicated

• jeffhink - Nov 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Within two months. Not at two months. If he’s ready to go after say, 50 days, do you think they want Howard stuck on the DL for another 10 days when he could be playing?

And I wasn’t saying anything related to the luxury tax.

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Well, they gave Lidge 12 million per for 3, which made me nervous because Lidge always seemed ready to blow a game wide open even in his 2008 “perfect” season giving up 50 hits and 35 walks in 69 innings for a 1.5 WHIP. I see Madson maintaining his results much better than Lidge did and he should probably be signed at a similar salary maybe a bit more (I don’t like over paying relievers, it’s me, not them). His not so flashy, and not so “perfect” season was a WHIP of 1.154. Which really is better than Lidge ever hoped to have after 2006. For the last 5 seasons Madson has been better than Lidge’s “perfect” season imo. It was all luck.

3. uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I have a question for the Phillies fans on this site. Who do you think the Phillies will ultimately sign as their closer: Papelbon, Bell or Madson?
    Papelbon will probably be the most expensive.
    Bell the most saves over the past 3 seasons, but how much of that is due to the park.
    Madson probably the lease expensive, but is most familiar with the team and division.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Madson, or Bell if Madson goes elsewhere. I see Madson as the best pitcher of the three. But I’m a homer, you know that.

• mox19380 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM

madson… Bell sounds like he doesn’t want to leave SD. Like you said Papelbon is expensive and with Hamels, Pence, and Rollins seeking more than $10 each they won’t commit to the $15mil Paps might want

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2989)