Nov 7, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears similar information, citing one major league source who says the Phillies are working hard to keep Madson and possibly nearing an agreement.
As for Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, he’s predictably not tipping his hand.
“I do not characterize my negotiations,” Amaro said. “I need a closer. It’s no secret I need a closer.”
Meanwhile, Boras told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com that the two sides are still “exchanging proposals.” It’s believed that Madson could find a three or four-year deal in free agency.
Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this season. After struggling in the closer role in previous seasons, he went 32-for-34 in save opportunities in 2011.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games