Nov 7, 2011, 9:33 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears similar information, citing one major league source who says the Phillies are working hard to keep Madson and possibly nearing an agreement.
As for Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, he’s predictably not tipping his hand.
“I do not characterize my negotiations,” Amaro said. “I need a closer. It’s no secret I need a closer.”
Meanwhile, Boras told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com that the two sides are still “exchanging proposals.” It’s believed that Madson could find a three or four-year deal in free agency.
Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this season. After struggling in the closer role in previous seasons, he went 32-for-34 in save opportunities in 2011.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)