Nov 7, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears similar information, citing one major league source who says the Phillies are working hard to keep Madson and possibly nearing an agreement.
As for Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, he’s predictably not tipping his hand.
“I do not characterize my negotiations,” Amaro said. “I need a closer. It’s no secret I need a closer.”
Meanwhile, Boras told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com that the two sides are still “exchanging proposals.” It’s believed that Madson could find a three or four-year deal in free agency.
Madson, 31, posted a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this season. After struggling in the closer role in previous seasons, he went 32-for-34 in save opportunities in 2011.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)