Nov 7, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Seems like Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times has had a good list every week for a month now. The latest: Ten things he didn’t know about Tony La Russa.
It’s a good time for that list due to the retirement and Jaffe is the right guy to do it due to the fact that he literally wrote the book on managers not too long ago. Plus, it’s so easy to thumbnail La Russa right now as the micro-managing all-time great that it’s easy to forget that a lot of neat and weird stuff happened in his 33 years at the helm.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)