The Marlins are going to rock orange jerseys. And black. And occasionally blue caps.

Nov 7, 2011, 4:32 PM EST

Via our brother blog Off The Bench comes a report in the Miami New Times previewing the Marlins new uniforms which, while not yet officially announced, seem to be happening thusly:

source:

That’s an alternate, apparently. If you click through to the Miami New Times article, you see the regular white and gray. There’s a black too. The road gray has a blue cap version.  It’s sort of a multi-color mess, but again, I think if it’s OK for anyone, it’s OK for the Marlins. They look no worse than the Dolphins and Hurricanes. Which, yes, look generally OK because it’s Miami and they can get away with that there.

People will mock, but I don’t think it’s justified. I think a team born in 1993 rocking a quasi-classic like pinstripes all these years was way more silly.

1. dondada10 - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

What is that? Pulp orange?

• twd1165 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I’m torn between describing their uni as the color of the soft drink “Tang” or a creamsicle.

The M on their hats, however, resembles the same M used by the minimart where I recently purchased a porquito burrito.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I know people around here have been talking smack on the new logo and will probably bad mouth the uniforms, but I like all of it. I like the bright colors…they make me happy.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I like dark colors myself, but, this is to be expected. After all, I’m the Bicepts.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:10 AM

That color makes me happy when, stirred into a glass of cold water, it addresses my lower alimentary tract issues.

But yeah, if those are the uniforms, they could have been worse. On the other hand, the logo could not have been worse. And that homer horror out in center field (shudder) wouldn’t even amuse me if I started taking mescaline again.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Mescaline? What you need that stuff for anyhow, a man of your erudition. If you couldn’t talk your self into hallucinating, a la Hannibal Lectre talking Miggs into swallowing his tongue, then I suspect you weren’t trying too hard. Mind you, I hear the toad venom is a trip. How are with that?

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Mescaline is for the soul, assuming you believe in such things. Anyway, toad toxin (it’s not a venom because it isn’t injected by biting) – bufogenin, to be exact – isn’t so much hallucinatory as emetic. Toad licking is more of a myth than anything; you have to be dumber than a college freshman to do it. Other batrachian toxins from other species – especially very tiny doses of the toxins produced by Dendrobates, Psammobates and other so- called “poison dart frogs” – can be great attitide adjusters, especially if you’ve chosen vision quest over subincision as a way of becoming a grownup in the Amazon basin.

Bufogenin, by the way, is often confused with bufogenesis, which is the process by which clowns reproduce.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Emetic, eh? Well that’s of the bucket list.

Bufogensis, eh? I always wondered how clowns reproduced. I assumed it involved courting based on evaluating size of noses, feet, number things you could pull our of your pants, etc. Knowing the technical term for that courting behaviour will come in handy.

3. clydeserra - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I am so excited for this. Best news of the day.

4. halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Who is #21 Robbman? In addition to these leaked uniform designs, is it possible that this guy Robbman is also a leaked FA signing by the Marlins?

• lyon810 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Juan Carlos Robbman

5. narrabeen23 - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM

genius. having 9 big orange dudes standing around can’t be good for a hitter’s sightlines

6. CJ - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The creator of these uniform/logo designs has to be an Astro fan who was vexed for years for liking the team who most likely had the worst uniform in the history of the MLB (if not all 4 major sports). After years of longsuffering he dreamt of growing up one day to be a graphics designer and set out on a mission to make sure that is no longer the case. And after purposely bidding the cheapest job (after all, who else would do this for a nickel?), he can now fix this stigma for good.

That’s the only quasi-reasonable explanation for this I can possibly think of. Just when you think it can’t get any worse than those caps, there’s that hideous animation over the wall in center…then the orange unis. Seriously, someone has to be going out of their way to try hard and come up with something so terrible to get results like this.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I think it is more likely that the creator of the uniforms is just a fan of absolute awesomeness. Whoever came up with that animation though is clearly on LSD or cactus or something.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m betting he’s on juice of the bufo alvarius. Only explanation really.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM

No, it’s the juice of Danton’s Toad (Bufo decadantus). One of nature’s great masters of camouflage, Danton’s Toad is capable not only of changing its color and pattern to match its background, but of actually changing its form to blend into its setting, a process known as Drehbeschleunigungbehandeln. Recently, and quite by accident, one of the supposed African elephants at Macondo Metrozoo was found actually to be one of the largest known specimens of Danton’s toad.

7. thegonz13 - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM

It’s not bad. They also seem to have gone from “Florida” to “Miami”.

• Lukehart80 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Yes, they will be the Miami Marlins from now on.

8. bbk1000 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM

” I think a team born in 1993 rocking a quasi-classic like pinstripes all these years was way more silly”

The Tim Gunn of HBT…..really, who cares…..

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Who’s Tim Gunn?

• bbk1000 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM

get married and you may know…..

9. yankeesgameday - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM

It’s obviously a Cane thing. You wouldn’t understand.

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

As a Miami alum and a Phillies’ fan, I don’t like it. I’m just confused. Why orange? stick with the teal. If they’re gonna where the orange, why didn’t they just save the Orange Bowl and let the Miami Marlins play at Mark Light Stadium. They may have even been a difficult ticket in that stadium. Then they could have left the Orange Bowl for the Canes and not screwed up the football field with their infield dirt nonsense.

I could still be parking in my no-blocky (or is it no-blockie?) spot two blocks and a world from my college’s football team and worrying about “what’s in that arepa” a few times a year. Instead, it’s a stadium in a soulless neighborhood. It’s just a game now. no more fearing for your life when you leave a night game. Takes the edge off the fans.

Stick with the teal. Leave the orange for the Hurricanes

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Did I really write “where”?

• yankeesgameday - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’m a Miami alum too. Everything you said is totally true. I was devastated when the orange bowl was taken down. It was one of the most historic stadiums in America. Really wish they renovated it or rebuilt it as a multi purpose stadium for baseball and the canes.

Some of the best moments of my life took place at the orange bowl and the loss of that atmosphere is a major disappointment.

I don’t mind the marlins trading on the cache of the orange and green but i agree with you that the teal and black with the pinstripes was a very cool uniform.

10. skipperxc - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Maybe it’s just society.

11. fellspointbird - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Am I the only one who feels like they are ripping off the Oriole’s?

12. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM

If you guys don’t like these uniforms, go and check out the Notre Dame uniforms they will be wearing soon. I was just over on Collegefootballtalk bad mouthing Villanova when I got a glimpse. Horrible.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I was just over on Collegefootballtalk yesterday bad mouthing Joe Paterno.

Small world.

13. lyon810 - Nov 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Looking at pictures of the new stadium, and the atrocity that is the new uniforms, it is somewhat comforting knowing that Loria and Samson never had the opportunity to impose their serious lack of taste on my Expos.

Most ironically, which no one has discussed: Loria is an avid art collector and connoisseur, so you think he’d have taste.

14. jcioffi1485 - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Terrible uniforms…..downright embarrassing

Sincerely,
    1975 Astros
    Cincinnati Bengals

15. seanwilson160 - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Everyone here needs to calm down–these are NOT the new Marlins uniforms. They are a mock-up of what they might look like based solely off the cap logo. They were done by a message board user named Robbman21 and posted on the Chris Creamer Sports Logos Community boards on October 12. The original post is here: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/83336-my-take-on-the-new-miami-marlins-uniforms/

Only two things have been leaked: the cap logo (the M only; the wordmark in the leaked logo was not the new wordmark, it was generic) and one of the caps, which is all black with the M on the front and a blue/orange MLB logo on the back. It is confirmed that there will be at least one other hat, and at least one hat will be orange. The home and road jerseys will say Miami and two alternates will say Marlins.

That is all that has been officially leaked. These may end up being a close approximation of the final uniforms, but they are not a legit leak, only one person’s guess.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2774)
  2. W. Myers (2537)
  3. D. Ross (2194)
  4. C. McGehee (2119)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1975)
  1. J. Shields (1877)