The Marlins are talking to Jose Reyes

Nov 7, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT

Jose Reyes

Twins news aside, this has been a pretty slow news day. But here’s the third Marlins post I have today, so at least we know Miami is alive.  Anyway:

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have been in contact with Jose Reyes, and may have been talking to him since the moment free agents became truly free last week. Mike Francesa of WFAN said today that the Marlins have already made an offer, but then again, he says a lot of things.  Nothing appears imminent.

Obviously Reyes to Miami would be a major change for everyone involved. Including Hanley Ramirez, who would suddenly be looking at a different position.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Reyes and Hanley on the same team would be crazy. While that’s enticing, Miami should get 1-2 starting pitchers, a 3B and a CF instead.

Though it’s true Hanley would be that 3B most likely…

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Idiocy if they do that. First of all, Reyes is a perpetual injury machine. Together he and Hanley would guarantee a whole bunch of AA and AAA prospects lots of looksee time in the Show. For the money they’d waste on Reyes they could go find themselves an entire serviceable starting rotation. Second of all, Hanley’s throwing is one of his biggest problems; moving him to third, another ninety feet from the first baseman’s glove, would be a disaster, just making his periodic inaccuracy more expansive. The probability plot of where his pegs would land would resemble a hurricane prediction cone.

2. cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Marlins get Yoenis Cespedes & Jose Reyes, then I think we gotta call this an official run for the post season. Frankly though, I think Loria and his running jackal lackeys are just bandying all this about to drum up interest in the team and the new stadium. Can you see Reyes in that get-up the Feesh call a uniform? He’d die of shame.

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM

If his hair didn’t mortify him, I doubt if the uniform would.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM

He’s got great hair. World class hair. When I was a callow youth, I aspired to hair that good. Alas, all I managed was shoulder length then grew tired of cooking my head in the hot Ozzie summers and cut it for Christmas. Among he biggest mistakes of my life, cutting my hair….

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM

That bitch talked you into it, didn’t she?

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Yeah, then I was blinded and chained to some pillars. Fortunately I am more mighty than Yoennis Cespedes with his shirt off…

3. phukyouk - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM

“Mike Francesa of WFAN said today that the Marlins have already made an offer, but then again, he says a lot of things. ‘

Not about Al albequerque

4. Ari Collins - Nov 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM

And, per Crasnick, Pujols and Fielder are on their radars.

This might be a case where the Marlins will be the third-highest bidder on everybody, but it’d be neat if they really made some big FA splashes.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Third highest bidder indeed. Landing Pujols, which they won’t, would’ve impacted them the same way that signing A-Roid crippled the Rangers. And that muscle-bound tub Fielder is just a designated hitter in waiting, a pair of knees and a lower back getting ready to come apart at the seams.

5. kingjoe1 - Nov 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Maybe the Phillies can trade a few young players like Brown and Mays and snag Ramirez

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Phillies would never be interested in Hanley Ramirez. He’s not a good clubhouse guy. They avoid guys like that like the plague, no matter how much talent they have.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Amaro is also smarter than that on another level: he’s watched Hanley decline for the past two seasons, injuries notwithstanding. He lost 40 points off his 2009 average the season before last, and another 25 points this season. That’s – count ‘em – a 65 point decline in two years, and before the stat droids chime in, his overall offensive numbers have taken a slide too. And now, of course, he’s coming off shoulder reconstruction work. No one is going to spring for Hanley with a major return unless he plays the first half of next season injury-free at the very least and puts up some impressive numbers. He’d then be good July trade deadline bait.

But if he does perform well, will the Feesh be willing to part with him?

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Gator,

I can’t speculate whether or not the Marlins will part with Hanley Ramirez. I can only tell you as a Phillies fan, I don’t want any part of him. He can pull his crap in Miami and get away with it. He does that shit here in Philly, the fan base will crucify him. Not a good fit. We won’t tolerate his lackadaisical play. It will be unbearable for him to play here. Ruben Amaro knows this. That’s why he won’t try to acquire him.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that I disagreed with your original comment about his attitude. He gets away with it here largely because the team is stuck with him – extended big bucks contract, damaged goods. There was a lot of talk down here in June and July about him being made available precisely because of attitude problems deemed responsible for his decline in perfomance and a lot of local spowrts tawrk raydeeo hosts were openly predicting, if not encouraging, a trade – but then he got hurt, and then it became apparent that his injury was more serious than reported. And the Feesh were stuck with him. I don’t think we’d be having this conversation today if he had been healthy last season; he’d be playing for the Astros or something by now.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM

They would probably be willing to part with Brown but I get the feeling they would very much like to hang on to May.

6. acdc363 - Nov 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Mike’d up, he’s ready to go, on the fan, new york sports radio! Mike’d up! Mike’d up!

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Francesa might be a blowhard, but his interviews are classic. Even though I’m in Philly, I get WFAN here. I’ve been listening to him for years. Just like any radio talk show host, he gets some unfair criticism.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug