The Rangers are NOT pleased that the Ron Washington speech was made public

Nov 7, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT

Ron Washington

That recording of Ron Washington speaking to the Rangers before Game 7 of the World Series?  Yeah, the Rangers aren’t happy that we all got to hear and laugh and otherwise marvel at it:

The Texas Rangers are investigating who recorded and then leaked manager Ron Washington’s speech prior to Game 7 of the World Series.

“It’s unacceptable for this type of thing to be out there,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Monday. “It was a private moment for the team, not meant for anyone else’s ears. We’re looking into it, probably won’t have additional comments until we’ve finished that process.”

Yeah, what stays in the clubhouse should stay in the clubhouse, so I’m not going to shed a tear when the clubhouse employee who taped it gets fired and killed and then fired some more.  But for our sake, thank God for that man.

1. cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Saw this coming. Hope he covered his tracks better than Bradley Manning.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Rather predictably…they shouldn’t be happy that it was leaked. Craig is right, somebody needs to be fired then black listed because of this. Completely unacceptable.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM

So people think it is completely acceptable for a clubhouse attendant to tape and leak stuff like this?

• Cris E - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

If I was the guy who taped this I wouldn’t worry one bit. I mean, how many people know who it was, three or four? And honestly, I wouldn’t out me, so that just leaves a few at that bastion of journalistic integrity Joe’s Sports Blog (or whatever it’s called). I’m sure that employee has nothing to worry about. I mean, once this initial wave of publicity peaks and the world forgets about John’s Sports Blog there’s probably no incentive to turn over the name to the team, right? I mean, the only thing that might do is just stir up the media again and put Sport Fan Joe’s Blog back on the front of Deadspin, and that would be horrible.*

* In case anyone isn’t tracking, horrible = ad reveune

3. richeich - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Does the Texas Ranger organization condone this type of behavior by Ron Washington? I Tthink Major League Baseball should investigate the managers actions as well as the Rangers condoning Ron Washingtons actions. Does major League Baseball sweep everything under the carpet like other sports, and political organizations?

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Seriously, what are they going to do? Fine or suspend him for cursing in a locker room?

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I have no idea what you think is being swept under the carpet. He broke no laws, rules, or moral codes. He was talking to his team before a big game trying to get them relaxed and reved up to play. Who cares if he cussed throughout the entire thing? It was a private meeting among adults, during which you can cuss as much as you fucking want to…

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Are you sure you understand the context of that recording rich? It was a private speech to the team prior to the game starting. Not for the media. The same way strategy, play calling, signals by the coaches and catcher signs are confidential team information.

If I’m a manager and the steal sing ins ‘the bird’, I use the middle finger to indicate the steal, even if I just use it push up my cap. It may well have meaning beyond ‘steal a base’.

For instance, just to pick any random manager, if Scosicia wants his runner, Aybar, to make a straight steal of 2nd because he knows, friggin knows that the Ranger’s catcher (can’t think of the guy’s name for some reason) is no where near as good as Mathis, Scioscia’s catcher, he literally flips off that Ranger’s catcher (what was that guy’s name?) and sends Aybar to 2nd. Anyone disclosing that from a position of inside knowledge is in the wrong, not Scoscia for dissing that catcher.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM

What actions should be condoned? Using a lot of cuss words? I’m pretty sure he manages a baseball team and not a church group, therefore….who cares?

4. halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Remember the movie “Rudy” when Rudy gets on the stool in the middle of the locker room at Notre Dame and does his impression of Knute Rockne’s famous speech?

I want to see them make a movie about the Rangers in a few years and have Chris Rock play the part of Ron Washington ala Rudy. I’d pay to see that movie.

• phukyouk - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM

THIS!

I can actually Picture Samwise standing on that stool and the Janitor smiling..

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Man, his wife wouldn’t let him chew sun flower seeds because how it made him look. She has to be PISSED as all get out over that tape. Poor Ron can’t catch a &^%^&*(&#@ break, can the motha&^$%^% ever catch a ^%*^&* *^%%&^$ break ? I mean &^%^&$!

6. notsofast10 - Nov 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM

It was me! I leaked the tape!

7. canucks18 - Nov 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Cussing goes with baseball, always has and always will. We can close the book on that.
    As for the dipshit that leaked the tape. He’ll get busted cause being part of a pro clubhouse is a price ledge in sports and teams don’t take that stuff lightly. He will get fired for sure!!!

8. couldntthinkofaname - Nov 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Awesome! I’m still laughing! I love it. No surprise with the language or anything. If anything, it makes me like Ron Washington even more. Dude was firing up the troops! Rock on Ron, you m***********!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3707)