Nov 7, 2011, 8:15 AM EST
Via some very well-put disappointment in the development over at Big League Stew comes word that the Kansas City Royals are on the verge of selling naming rights to Kauffman Stadium. Probably to a bank. Almost certainly not to Oklahoma Joe’s BBQ, which is a cryin’ shame.
Does Kansas City have any anti-corporate activists hanging around? Can we not launch “Occupy Blue Ridge Cutoff?”
Eh, I can’t muster too much outrage. The ship on this stuff sailed, what, 15 years ago? Twenty?
I sold my soul to the corporate naming rights back in 2007. Back then the Indians were trying to sell naming rights to the then-Jacobs Field and were having trouble finding a suitor. I spent part of an afternoon looking at a big Cleveland business directory trying to find locally-based business candidates for them. I actually ended up liking the idea of “Progressive Field” better than other potential candidates. The fact that they ended up going with that a few months later probably means that I have no standing to complain.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)