Nov 7, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
I had not thought much of Cuban defector Yoennis Cespedes. Scouting and prospects are not exactly my strong suit, so I usually just wait to hear what the Kevin Goldsteins and Keith Laws of the world say about those guys before I take too much notice.
Well, today Goldstein has a big post about Cespedes over at Baseball Prospectus. He bases everything he says about what may be the most ridiculous/fabulous/glorious scouting video ever created for a baseball player. Read Goldstein for the analysis of it all, but feel free to watch the video below if you just want it to wash over you. All I’ll say is this: within the first three minutes there is a “Star Wars”-style opening title crawl and a Christopher Cross song which is, as crazy as it sounds, perfect for the context.
Cespedes is a gigantic man who abuses baseballs, runs (rides?) like the wind and will make an awful lot of money. But I gotta say: if all he ever does for us is star in this video, we should consider ourselves blessed.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)