Nov 7, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
I had not thought much of Cuban defector Yoennis Cespedes. Scouting and prospects are not exactly my strong suit, so I usually just wait to hear what the Kevin Goldsteins and Keith Laws of the world say about those guys before I take too much notice.
Well, today Goldstein has a big post about Cespedes over at Baseball Prospectus. He bases everything he says about what may be the most ridiculous/fabulous/glorious scouting video ever created for a baseball player. Read Goldstein for the analysis of it all, but feel free to watch the video below if you just want it to wash over you. All I’ll say is this: within the first three minutes there is a “Star Wars”-style opening title crawl and a Christopher Cross song which is, as crazy as it sounds, perfect for the context.
Cespedes is a gigantic man who abuses baseballs, runs (rides?) like the wind and will make an awful lot of money. But I gotta say: if all he ever does for us is star in this video, we should consider ourselves blessed.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)